Old Cues Play Terrible

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No interest in most old cues unless it is a szamboti or something like that for collectible value only.

IMO, the reason to own a Szamboti cue is for playing pool. If it doesn't increase in value, you at least had the privilege of playing with a great cue. Perhaps its is a broad generalization, but I think there are threads regarding most of the legendary cue makers with posters who either love or dislike the way they play. I like my Szamboti so much that nothing anybody says affects how I feel about it.

There are many great new cues being produced. I think it is tremendous that so many people have access to good equipment. I like newer technologies. But I have not found reason to switch from cues that continue to serve me well.

BLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll take my R series Schon over a new Schon anyday, and yes I own newer Schon's also.

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blange, I would agree the cue definitely looks better. I have a newer shaft for my R series though and I find it actually plays better. This could have to do with the smaller diameter and taper though

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have an old D11 McDermott bought new in 1984, and a 1 year old McDermott with a G core shaft, about the only thing I notice is I think the G core hits like crap, I hate that cue, it seems to vibrate a lot and rattle when hitting cue ball off center. I just bought a Titlist conversion, waiting for it to arrive, I hope I dont notice what you do about old cues. This is not along the same same line of thinking as having a cue that draws very well is it? From what I have seen it is usually the drawer (is that correct?) and not the tool he is using to draw the cue ball.

BLange

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blange, I would agree the cue definitely looks better. I have a newer shaft for my R series though and I find it actually plays better. This could have to do with the smaller diameter and taper though

Over the years someone, (not me) had the two shafts I play with redone. They are original R shafts but have a newer tapper.