Pics of my new Diamond Professional 9' table installation - thanks Donny!

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thought you all might like to see a Diamond Pro install from start to finish, so I took a bunch of pictures two days ago when Donny Wessels from http://www.weststatebilliards.com/ and his assistant Jason brought my new table and set it up.

Took them around 8 hours total – it was clear that Donny is a perfectionist. And the table is built like a tank... the Dymondwood rails alone are unbelievably heavy, and the solid oak skirts weren't light, either. He probably spent the most time with his three machinists levels, at various stages of install. Balls definitely roll true on the Simonis 860 HD.

The full set of 79 pictures can be found on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/116726225@N05/sets/72157640639988513/) or Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/62GdB).

Here are 18 showing the basic progress:

Centering the legs and main frame...
R40R9hS.jpg

Attaching the 3/4" plywood slate backing, with its 22 adjustable shims...
2pei9uJ.jpg

Rolling in one of the three 30mm slates...
VeKIkNE.jpg

Placing the slates in position – they get screwed with long screws through the backing board and into the main frame...
iHTA7v6.jpg

The new steel slate bracing system that Diamond just introduced, which makes a 3-piece slate table act like a 1-piece. Word has it the whole table can be moved on a dolly, although Donny said he hasn't tried it with one yet.
XzkzK33.jpg

Each slate joint is secured by 5 heavy steel braces with 4 screws each...
cqcloVN.jpg

Placing the rails down temporarily for level check. The Dymondwood has butcher-block construction and is heeaaaavvvyyyyy...
Q2NOrRW.jpg

Something I was curious about – the bracket screws get a little piece of blue tape over their heads, then bondo'd over, along with the joint lines...
ywJgDcy.jpg

Donny made the cloth gluing and stretching look easy...
WF4By1h.jpg

ywNewrb.jpg

Continued in next post, can only include 10 pics per post...

Last edited:

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
and the final 8 pics:

Every pocket looked perfect like this...
dv1Nbsp.jpg

The final level check...
R1InnIW.jpg

Donny breaks in the table with the ceremonial first break...
gaYETWB.jpg

The blue badge is a perfect color match to Simonis Tournament Blue cloth...
vlLPScG.jpg

Love the richness and color match of the Rosewood Dymondwood rails and cherry-stained oak skirts and legs...
tn3nFon.jpg

In this pic, the 20x15' room is lit by just the 8' x 2' LED light I'm building. Still have work to do on it, but I'm liking it so far. It's hung by thin aircraft wire, and I'm using two of the wires for the low-voltage power supply to avoid a big ugly power cord. The frame is 2.5" x 3/4" oak, which I'll stain to match the table. I went with 2 warm white high-output 5050 LED strips with 300 bulbs each (these on Amazon) powered by this transformer in parallel. The light temperature at 3000K is quite warm, like an incandescent, but I prefer the old-school ambiance to the cool bluish cast of the 6000K LED strips. I might end up adding some cool whites to the mix to balance it out. The entire light weighs around 12 pounds. I'm waiting on two parabolic diffuser panels from Diamond, which will focus the very wide spread of light to the table surface only, and should increase the perceived brightness considerably. I'll post details on the light when I'm done and happy with it...
tbCHhH9.jpg

hK2Tf3c.jpg

Stayed up late playing...
ypgonJq.jpg

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Beautiful table. Please update with all details about the light, including parts numbers. I have to do something myself. I think a lot of us will run into lighting problems with 100 W bulbs outlawed.

ceodynamo

Have cue will travel
Silver Member
great table

Thats awesome man!!!! I got the same table, mine is a single piece slate though. Congrats I know it will get plenty of use!

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
Perfect room perfect table

Well i know what i will dream off tonight.:(
Best wishes to enjoy the Game till last drop at your awesome table.:smile:

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congratulations Deadstick!! I got to experience being a Gold Crown Three owner for the first time ever 5 months ago and watched the whole assembly process as well. I know the joyful feeling you are having owning your own table!! Great looking Diamond!

Shoot straight, and enjoy:smile:

PS I am totally jealous of your table light!! Mine weighs 140 pounds held up by the chains from the Queen Mary:)

Last edited:

hlymnstr14

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you for posting all those pictures. I really enjoyed looking at all of them. I can't imagine how excited you were as they were building it, putting on the cloth and then racking up that first game. awesome.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
I prefer the look of the Diamond light fixture but the LED is cool too.

I have the blue label but with the 1 piece slate. You're gonna love it. Congrats.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Absolutely beautiful table ... congrats. I looked thru all the pics on Flickr too. Who is that young dude? A future champ I'm sure ... he'll have top notch equipment to train on!!

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely beautiful table ... congrats. I looked thru all the pics on Flickr too. Who is that young dude? A future champ I'm sure ... he'll have top notch equipment to train on!!

Thanks, that's my 6-yr-old son. He says he likes pool more than Mario Kart now. Hope that lasts.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
That in large measure will be up to you. I play with my grandson and continually try new ways to keep him interested like adjusting spots in different ways, changing the games up, teaching him easy trick shots and stuff. A lot of fun.

I also noticed your avatar looks like a black and white of one of the pics ... pretty cool.

obe1

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Diamond

Thank you for the post......what is that nice tele plugged into?

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice table and a great job with the pics.

Any chance we can see more of how the light was constructed or put together. Where is the transformer on the top? How did you fasten the lights to the plywood?

Plagiarism is the highest form of flattery.:D