APA --playoffs rules question

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a question about rules during APA playoffs. My team is very vocal/supportive/fun during our matches. Before we shoot, during the match, they will chant, "LET'S GO RICH!!!" (Or whoever). Never while the other team shoots. The other teams get upset, but I think we are within the rules and not sharking.

Thoughts? Is it supposed to be absolutely silent during high level tourneys?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have a question about rules during APA playoffs. My team is very vocal/supportive/fun during our matches. Before we shoot, during the match, they will chant, "LET'S GO RICH!!!" (Or whoever). Never while the other team shoots. The other teams get upset, but I think we are within the rules and not sharking.

Easy answer - no

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Its gets into the area of good sportsmanship. Which is rather subjective (I hesitantly invoked that term, lol) and a bit of a moving target.

To answer your question, if it goes as you described, no issues. It doesn't have to be quiet, outside of when players are shooting. If the cheering is positive in nature and not able to be construed negatively towards your opponent in any way ("you got this, he'll never make that" etc) it shouldn't be an issue.

To be honest, we have some teams here that get vocal with the cheering and such, I can understand how it becomes aggravating at times. Doesn't bother me much, I've heard others who aren't as forgiving of it as I am.

If you're really concerned, run it by your LO, as they will be the final arbiter of whether it is a sportsmanship violation or not.
Good luck!

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
If you have to ask if its wrong, or in poor taste.... then it probably is.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I was under the impression you do NOT talk to your team mate, in any verbal or non verbal means while he's in the match unless you call a coach or the other team calls a coach.

"hey, lets go Rich might be code for "play safe", where as "Lets go Richie" might be code for shoot the ball, and "Lets go Richard" might be code for I think I have a great idea but don't want to burn a coach if you are thinking what I'm thinking. So, if not, call me over, I think I have a WINNER idea.

In many many baseball leagues, once the pitcher looks for the signs from the catcher, the team up to bat cannot no longer cheer for the batter in any manner as they could be giving him signs of what pitch is coming. And yes, it's happened many times. Lets's go #22 could mean fastball, Let's go Billy is curveball, Let's go William is chang up, etc.....

Silly that it has come to this, but there are always teams that ruin it for others.

Plus, SILENCE is GOLDEN. Many NFL teams have done away with cheerleaders, do pool players need this option ;)

Last edited:

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have to ask if its wrong, or in poor taste.... then it probably is.
"We are really loud and obnoxious and we know other people don't like it... but we don't care about that. What really matters, is it against the rules?"

jus4funbilliard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vocal

My team is very vocal and at local level and even states never had a problem. Some teams just take this way two serious.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"We are really loud and obnoxious and we know other people don't like it... but we don't care about that. What really matters, is it against the rules?"
Ummm...that's a bit harsh. Since when has cheering become de facto loud and obnoxious? Also, if the other team asked us to stop, I would honor that.

People are so quick on this forum to attack!

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Like many things there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. It's not always in the rule book. Good natured positive cheering for your teammate seems ok to me- while your teammate is walking to the table. After that there really should be nothing said, unless it's a timeout.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ummm...that's a bit harsh. Since when has cheering become de facto loud and obnoxious? Also, if the other team asked us to stop, I would honor that.

People are so quick on this forum to attack!
Maybe harsh, maybe not. Just some idle speculation :grin-square:

At any rate, it's probably a good idea to keep the cheering at a minimum until the 8 or 9 ball falls, then go for it!

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
If you're talking about session playoffs, those aren't considered what the APA calls "Higher Level Tournaments" and don't operate under the Las Vegas rules, that is to say - unless your LO says it does. Your national qualifier, or more accurately - your APA World Championship qualifier should be played under the national rules. To my knowledge none of those rule say anything about cheering FOR your player. The other team may get mad, but so what. It's never any fun watching the other team cheer and high-five when you're getting your ass kicked. If the other team is really big and has a bad temper you might think about toning it down a little, but as long as you're not cheering when their player scratches or misses or makes a mistake (as you are never supposed to cheer AGAINST your opponent) who cares, cheer on.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about the players at the tables around you that do not want to be distracted by the noise?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Oscar asked the lady that was standing at the rail in his shot line yesterday to kindly move, was her best response to Oscar to tell him to focus more?
I get it. Darren Appleton did say a camera click caused him to lose focus and contributed to a recent loss. But he also admitted he should have been able to tune it out.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If this happens on every shot, this would get really annoying quickly, not only that, you are also disturbing the other teams if there is more than one team playing.

Keep the chants to football stadiums.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
When Oscar asked the lady that was standing at the rail in his shot line yesterday to kindly move, was her best response to Oscar to tell him to focus more?

Are you saying that APA play is of the same level?
I don't know that lady, maybe it was her best response.
Maybe it's just me, but I see these two scenarios as being completely different.
League night in the APA at the bar is slightly different than Turning Stone

pickngrin

They should focus more

So if you're shooting and people are cheering at the next table, you won't complain, you'll just focus more? I think you should be considerate towards everybody in the immediate vicinity. If the people at the next table are gambling and they complain about your cheering, you're going to tell them to "just focus more?" I'd pay to see what happens next.