Break cue questions

GrayBeard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought the OP wanted to keep it under a $100, and threw out the $50 Lucky sneaky pete as an example? After replacing the tip, he would have invested closer to $70-$80.

FWIW, I picked up a used MG logo Sledgehammer for about $125. Brand new Sledgehammers go for $275 to $500. So, getting a used BK (BK1 or BK2) for a fraction of a new one isn't unrealistic. Especially if the seller only cares about having the latest and greatest.

When I don't feel like putting the break cue together, I'll break with my playing cue. The only issue is dealing with the tip mushrooming afterwards. So, I'll dial down the power a little and spend more effort aiming at the 1-ball. I've notice I've been getting a ball in on the break just as often, but the cue ball doesn't scratch.

It's true that I'm trying to keep the total cost under $100. As I said in another post, I've been looking for modestly
priced used break cues, but haven't been able to find any. Thus I'm looking at other options. The J&J Spark
break cue looks interesting because of the additional weight bolts that come with it. Any others with experience
with the Spark break cue?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm following them closely.

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My g/f has a Spark Break and I've used it too and it breaks just fine with the phenolic tip. Good cue for the price.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got home. Here are a few pictures of the cue. I guess it's a Rhino, 19.5 oz, phenolic tip. No idea on how much I got it for. I remember buying it a few years ago then got a deal on another one I couldn't pass up. Probably 50 or so breaks on it lol.

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    053.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 575
  • 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 562
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 590

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the huge pictures, I'm new to posting pics on here lol. Let me know if that's something you would be interested in.

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I don't feel like putting the break cue together, I'll break with my playing cue. The only issue is dealing with the tip mushrooming afterwards.

You may want to try the Wizard tips.
I break with my play cue all the time and have had no problems with this, and I wack that cue ball pretty good when I play 8-ball.

Also there's the Porper's mushroom remover tool. You might like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Porper-mushroom-grazer-tip-tool/dp/B00065CKKM

Works like a charm.
But check the Wizard tips and I doubt you'll need to do this.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true that I'm trying to keep the total cost under $100. As I said in another post, I've been looking for modestly
priced used break cues, but haven't been able to find any. Thus I'm looking at other options. The J&J Spark
break cue looks interesting because of the additional weight bolts that come with it. Any others with experience
with the Spark break cue?

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm following them closely.

:frown:

I don't recommend the Spark Break Cue.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you elaborate why you don't recommend it for the OP?

:yes:

Well I'm a dealer and sell all J&J products and I don't think the Spark Break Cue is

a solid hitting cue and I just don't like it.

I will not sell them because I don't think they are a good value.

:thumbup: