Epoxy/Pin Question

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was playing league last night when my cue wouldn't tighten - I thought the threads inside the shaft were stripped but it turns out the epoxy holding the pin in place from the butt loosened and the pin kept spinning. To the point where the pin was firmer in the shaft than the butt so the entire pin is out of my cue right now.

So, would I be able to screw the pin back in using epoxy to keep to fix this problem? If so, how do I get the old epoxy off the bottom 3 threads... and what epoxy would be best to use here?

Also, what's the process for doing this by myself?

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
I'd need to know more before I can help. What thread is the pin? Flat faced joint, or piloted? Yes, you can reglue it, but I'd want to know those things before I'd offer any help.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully shawn can help you out. Might want to pop this one in the cue maker section too.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Was playing league last night when my cue wouldn't tighten - I thought the threads inside the shaft were stripped but it turns out the epoxy holding the pin in place from the butt loosened and the pin kept spinning. To the point where the pin was firmer in the shaft than the butt so the entire pin is out of my cue right now.

So, would I be able to screw the pin back in using epoxy to keep to fix this problem? If so, how do I get the old epoxy off the bottom 3 threads... and what epoxy would be best to use here?

Also, what's the process for doing this by myself?

If the pin was spinning, it means the threads in the butt were stripped. You could simply epoxy the pin in again with enough epoxy to fill the threads and glue the pin in. Unless you are capable of fully assessing the situation, you should send it to someone who can.

Just fyi, I have three cues that don't have the pins glued in at all. When the cue is apart I am able to relatively easily remove the pin from the butt. I've done this because I've experimented with non-traditional pins including an epoxy/carbon fiber tube pin that weighs less than a penny. I haven't had any problems in over three years.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3/8x10 pin. The portion going into the butt is flat-faced, and the portion going into the shaft is standard/non-modified. The pin is entirely threaded as well from top to bottom as well.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Had that happen before, I just used some epoxy. Just don't use much. I asked the maker of the cue before I did anything, just followed his suggestions.

Last edited:

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also... the butt end of the pin-insert isn't threaded at all. It is entirely drilled out. The pin doesn't screw into the butt basically, it can freely slide in or out. Can that be fixed as well? Basically, can it be threaded in the future?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also... the butt end of the pin-insert isn't threaded at all. It is entirely drilled out. The pin doesn't screw into the butt basically, it can freely slide in or out. Can that be fixed as well? Basically, can it be threaded in the future?

Your playing in two different parts of this Forum. INTERESTING!
If you have an experienced person repair it, he will plug the hole and start fresh to do it correctly.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your playing in two different parts of this Forum. INTERESTING!
If you have an experienced person repair it, he will plug the hole and start fresh to do it correctly.

Yeah, I posted here first until someone said I should post it in the "Ask the Cuemaker" section. I'm taking your advice Mike!

Also relaying what's going on to this forum post for future reference.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member

Well that is a bit different than just a pin that the bond broke on. Saw in your other thread that it was a custom cue, why not send it back to the maker?

Last edited:

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Pete Ohman

Pete Ohman ...omen cues has done this exact job for me on a predator. He's quick, cheap and guarantees the job for life. ...i think.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Yeah, I posted here first until someone said I should post it in the "Ask the Cuemaker" section. I'm taking your advice Mike!

Also relaying what's going on to this forum post for future reference.

Do what Mike said. That's why I asked the questions I did. Take it to the guy that made the cue. I'm wondering how he installed the pin. From your description, he just drilled or bored a hole, and the pin was glued in? It wasn't tapped out and glued/threaded in place?

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do what Mike said. That's why I asked the questions I did. Take it to the guy that made the cue. I'm wondering how he installed the pin. From your description, he just drilled or bored a hole, and the pin was glued in? It wasn't tapped out and glued/threaded in place?

Nope. It was only bored out and glued in. The pin slides in and out freely, and I took a screwdriver (small thin ones for glasses) and ran it from the bottom of the bore to the top and there are no threads at all.

I'm making a phone call on Monday to see if I could epoxy it myself for now because I can't send it off immediately. If I'm told by the guy it would cause more problems for them/potentially make things worse then I'm leaving it be until I send it off.

Shawn Armstrong

Silver Member
Nope. It was only bored out and glued in. The pin slides in and out freely, and I took a screwdriver (small thin ones for glasses) and ran it from the bottom of the bore to the top and there are no threads at all.

I'm making a phone call on Monday to see if I could epoxy it myself for now because I can't send it off immediately. If I'm told by the guy it would cause more problems for them/potentially make things worse then I'm leaving it be until I send it off.

Do NOT reglue it as it is. That isn't the correct way to install the pin. You're going to have the same problem with the pin again, if you just glue it in.

If the cuemaker won't make it right, send the cue to a reputable cue maker, or repair guy, and get the thing fixed. The pin needs to be installed into a drilled/bored out hole that is tapped out. You want the pin screwed and glued.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do NOT reglue it as it is. That isn't the correct way to install the pin. You're going to have the same problem with the pin again, if you just glue it in.

If the cuemaker won't make it right, send the cue to a reputable cue maker, or repair guy, and get the thing fixed. The pin needs to be installed into a drilled/bored out hole that is tapped out. You want the pin screwed and glued.

I didn't plan to as a permanent fix. It's going to be sent out within a month (unfortunately it can't be sooner) so I was going to call the guy I'm sending it to to see if I could as a temporary fix to keep shooting with it.

All depends on what he says. If he says don't then I'll keep it apart, if he says I can then I will for the time being. Either way, it's getting sent out in the near future.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't plan to as a permanent fix. It's going to be sent out within a month (unfortunately it can't be sooner) so I was going to call the guy I'm sending it to to see if I could as a temporary fix to keep shooting with it.

All depends on what he says. If he says don't then I'll keep it apart, if he says I can then I will for the time being. Either way, it's getting sent out in the near future.

This method is happening more than any of you can imagine. Your lucky the butt didn't split.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This method is happening more than any of you can imagine. Your lucky the butt didn't split.

How does the butt split?

Really won't be doing this at all now. Will keep it apart until I can send it away. Just curious about the above portion.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does the butt split?

Really won't be doing this at all now. Will keep it apart until I can send it away. Just curious about the above portion.

Imagine a chisel effect. I have pictures of one this happed too. But I'll never put a Cue maker under the Bus by showing the pictures to non Cue makers. What happened was, a break jump cue. Screws poorly glued in. The one at the jump section backed out. The Forearm no longer sat flush. Nice power break and the screw split the forearm. Customer bought that cue for 700. Absolutely every phenolic ring and screw was installed with 5 minute epoxy. I pulled out the jump section screw and joint screw with nylon pliers. Didn't even have to heat the screws up.

Imagine a chisel effect. I have pictures of one this happed too. But I'll never put a Cue maker under the Bus by showing the pictures to non Cue makers. What happened was, a break jump cue. Screws poorly glued in. The one at the jump section backed out. The Forearm no longer sat flush. Nice power break and the screw split the forearm. Customer bought that cue for 700. Absolutely every phenolic ring and screw was installed with 5 minute epoxy. I pulled out the jump section screw and joint screw with nylon pliers. Didn't even have to heat the screws up.

Wait...you are blaming the splitting on the epoxy used?

If I am understanding this correctly, a cue split when the owner used it to break after the joint had loosened?

I have news for you, no epoxy in the world will absolutely ensure that doesn't happen.

As I said, I have three cues with joint pins that ARE NOT EPOXIED AT ALL. This works if the sections are firmly tightened because the screw is in tension and the cue parts are in compression.

Mr. Webb, I have a lot of respect for your abilities, but you seem to be off on this.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait...you are blaming the splitting on the epoxy used?

If I am understanding this correctly, a cue split when the owner used it to break after the joint had loosened?

I have news for you, no epoxy in the world will absolutely ensure that doesn't happen.

As I said, I have three cues with joint pins that ARE NOT EPOXIED AT ALL. This works if the sections are firmly tightened because the screw is in tension and the cue parts are in compression.

Mr. Webb, I have a lot of respect for your abilities, but you seem to be off on this.

Thank you. I watched it happen. Loose as a goose.I pulled the joint collar off with my fingers. Plenty of incorrectly mixed epoxy that didn't get hard.