What is your definition of pocket speed?

Choose your definition of 'pocket speed'

• Soft enough that if you miss, it will hang in the pocket jaws

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • The speed that maximizes the chance that the ball drops

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
When then object ball falls into the bottom of the pocket without hitting the back of the pocket.

DirtyJersey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My definition of pocket speed is when I hit it just enough to sound like the back of the pocket is being hit with a mallet. If I can loosen the pocket with a shot that is perfect pocket speed :thumbup:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
The guys I play One Pocket with believe that 'Pocket Speed' is the slowest speed an object ball can travel and still fall into the pocket. That's on made shots.
For 'hangers', it's the slowest speed an object ball can travel and stay within the jaws of the pocket.
I tend to agree with them. :smile:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading the previous thread I'm not so sure there is such a thing as pocket speed and that is why it is so difficult for everyone to find a common ground on it's definition. It is simply a made up term that leads nowhere. Either you are stroking well and balls don't rattle and hang up or they do hang up. How can a pocket have speed. It doesn't move. I think it is all about stroke and hitting the object ball correctly. I know that when I am stroking confidently and well I can fire a ball in down the rail with force follow even on tables with shimmed pockets.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When then object ball falls into the bottom of the pocket without hitting the back of the pocket.

What he said, which should be an option.

Interesting, because that's more of a descriptive definition than functional one. What is the purpose of hitting pocket speed, by your definition?

The reason I did a poll on these two particular options is that they seem to have very different purposes: Either to hang the ball to block the pocket and make it later, or to make sure it DOESN'T hang. Those are two very different goals.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, because that's more of a descriptive definition than functional one. What is the purpose of hitting pocket speed, by your definition?

The reason I did a poll on these two particular options is that they seem to have very different purposes: Either to hang the ball to block the pocket and make it later, or to make sure it DOESN'T hang. Those are two very different goals.

Now I'm convinced there is no such thing as pocket speed. I think we are talking about ball speed as a pocket does not move therefore has no speed. Where you put the OB and CB is relevant not the pocket which has no speed.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I'm convinced there is no such thing as pocket speed. I think we are talking about ball speed as a pocket does not move therefore has no speed. Where you put the OB and CB is relevant not the pocket which has no speed.

lol No, the pocket isn't moving. :confused: But the word 'pocket' is used because something happens when the ball reaches the pocket. Specifically, what happens if it's not hit perfectly, and it wobbles in the jaws?

The way I've always heard the term used is that it's soft enough that it doesn't bounce out, but hard enough that it doesn't sit there. The way other people use the term is that it's soft enough that if you miss, it hangs there causing trouble. Both seem like legit definitions (and goals) to me.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol No, the pocket isn't moving. :confused: But the word 'pocket' is used because something happens when the ball reaches the pocket. Specifically, what happens if it's not hit perfectly, and it wobbles in the jaws?

The way I've always heard the term used is that it's soft enough that it doesn't bounce out, but hard enough that it doesn't sit there. The way other people use the term is that it's soft enough that if you miss, it hangs there causing trouble. Both seem like legit definitions (and goals) to me.

I've only heard is said as the speed to hit the ball so it maximizes the chance of it falling it on a bad hit, which just about when it barely reaches the pocket, although too slow can be bad also when it hits the point, then the opposite facing, then hangs on the shelf, where 1/2 inch of more speed would have dropped it.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The guys I play One Pocket with believe that 'Pocket Speed' is the slowest speed an object ball can travel and still fall into the pocket. That's on made shots.
For 'hangers', it's the slowest speed an object ball can travel and stay within the jaws of the pocket.
I tend to agree with them. :smile:
That's how I use it too (mostly in 1P), but I don't think there's a common definition at this level of detail.

pj
chgo

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the speed at which you are not sure it will make it to the pocket, but it just does.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only heard is said as the speed to hit the ball so it maximizes the chance of it falling it on a bad hit, which just about when it barely reaches the pocket, although too slow can be bad also when it hits the point, then the opposite facing, then hangs on the shelf, where 1/2 inch of more speed would have dropped it.

Yeah me too. But enough knowledgeable people, especially one-pocket players, are saying that it's the other definition, that I think it's also commonly used.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What is happening when the ball reaches the pocket is the BALL goes in because it was struck correctly or hangs up because the BALL was struck incorrectly. The pocket does nothing but sit there.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Pockets move on me all the time. That must be it. Can't be my aim!

Pocket speed to me is a slow roll with the object ball going in.

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
Choose which definition you use, prefer, or have heard more often.

You need a third option, "Both".

http://www.billiardsforum.info/billi...cket-speed.asp

Pocket Speed Definition

Pocket speed has two definitions as related to cue sports. Pocket speed refers to the velocity at which there is just enough speed for the object ball to reach the pocket, but ideally not so hard that a miss would cause sufficient rebound to leave your opponent a return bank. Alternatively, pocket speed refers to the degree of ability of a pocket to more easily accept a shot that was not aimed perfectly if it was softly shot at a fairly slow speed. If the shot was not soft and slow, it my not fall in.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks SilverCue I saw your link to that in the other thread, and it's what made me want to do the poll. It seems like most people use it one way or the other (or a completely different definition), but most people either aren't aware of or don't use both.