Sugeestions for simple format for tournament

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
Just as soon as the temperatures here in Indiana start to rise, I'm going to have some of my acquaintances over to my house for some food and to unveil the newly upgraded playing surface on my table (another thread, another time).

As part of the evening I'm contemplating having a small tournament... If I were to guess I'd say there will be 6 to 10 players of similar skill levels. I don't want this to go all night but maybe from 4 or 5 pm to 10 or 11 pm.

I was thinking 9 ball race to 2, double elimination. With 8 people that would be 15 sets...

Single elim would get things over quicker but that would leave half the field only getting one time at the table...

I'm not ruling out blind draw scotch doubles or any other format, what is above was the first thing that game to mind and am looking for any other suggestions.

Last edited:

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member
With a group like that I'd choose a round robin race to 1 or 2. Lots of chances for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like round robin. I used to play in a single-elimination race to one tournament with the following rule: if the breaker breaks and runs the one rack, the opponent has the opportunity to break and run a second rack. If he succeeds, they play a third rack and so on. Basically it's a race to one with a chance to match if the opponent never gets an inning.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about a chip tournament?

Assuming that this is supposed to be a social thing instead of a serious tournament, here’s what I would do – especially if there is only one table available.

Put everyone’s name on a 3x5 card. Shuffle the cards and deal them face up in a single row on a cork board. Tack them to the board so that they don’t get moved around too easily.

Give everyone a certain number of poker chips, say maybe seven. The number of chips depends on how long you want this thing to go on.

Have the players on the first two cards play a single game. The winner stays at the table and plays the next person in line. The loser gives up a chip and goes to the end of the line (the bottom of the line of cards).

The last person with at least one chip is the winner.

If you want to handicap players in order to deal with differing skill levels, give the stronger players less chips.

The outcome doesn’t prove anything, but it is very sociable, fun and keeps people involved without really long waiting times that may otherwise be the case with a single table.

fERrELZ

Banned
chip tournament... I kinda like that.

Not the way to go if you are wanting it to be over in a timely fashion.

Let's say you and I are going to play with 'chips' alone. You have seven, I have seven. You have to beat me seven times in a row to get all my chips. Basically this is a multi-person seven-ahead tourney.

Let's say you have three chips each and six people. By the end, you still have two people holding eighteen chips.

Play a round robin, it is the only way to have 'fair' amount of table time. Keep track of game wins and either crown the winner directly or let the top few play another round to determine first-third.

gdc25

I call 'em like I see 'em
Silver Member
I wasn't reading the "chips" format as giving the winner your chips. I was reading it as lose the game, lose a chip... last person with a chip wins.

and to speed things up, I think 4 or 5 chips would be plenty. maybe less.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clarification

Sorry, but a clarification is needed.

The loser doesn't give up his chip to the winner. He turns it in to the director. So it's not x number ahead, it is x number of losses.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
With a group like that I'd choose a round robin race to 1 or 2. Lots of chances for everyone.

I like Round Robin too but I would split it into 2 groups (blind draw) with the winners from each group playing off for 1st & 2nd. Everyone would stay to watch the final set and all should have a good time w/lots of play.

Dave

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We played a version of the "chip tournament" listed above.

We called it King of the Hill.... everyone got 3 losses and we drew for rotation. Loser lost one of his losses and winner stayed at the table.
Last one alive was winner..

For the past 5-10 years I have played a social pool game that we call hickey pool.
You assign Hickeys (misses) by skill level and draw for rotation. Rack up all the ball in any pattern and someone breaks and then has to make a ball. After he makes a ball the next player can shoot any ball and then it goes to the next player and so on....
Any miss that player loses a hickey. So a person that has 4 hickeys can only miss four shots period over the entire length.

Each rack is played all the way out and then all are racked up for the new breaker.. Same as the start. They break and then have to make a ball.

The game is easy and fun and also allows for a huge range of skill levels.
Where I play the lowest anyone is rated gets 2 hickeys and we have had some people get 8. It all works out and there is some strategy for guys that want that.