Precision tips v. Triangle and predator chalk v. Magic chalk

I was posting this for anyone who is considering any of these products.

I first have two playing shafts that are identical spec and play the same.
I had a searing medium on one and a pressed triangle on the other.
Here’s my feedback.
1. They both take chalk well, the searing seems to “hold” chalk a bit better
2. The searing tip needs almost no work or scuffing. The triangle needs a quick scuff weekly with regular daily play.
3. They both are about the same with shape, if I had to give the edge to one I think the searing wins by a hair.

The final decision for me was feel. The triangle in my opinion gives a smooth hit with better feel and feedback. Triangle has just always risen to the top for me over the last decade. I’ve found if you press it for 30 seconds in a vice so it's flat on both sides then install it - it’s perfect and creates perfect uniformity so you don’t get a bad one.

I also got a chance to use both predator and magic chalk

Overall the predator is a better chalk for me as it’s “creamier” and goes on nice but the downside is it gets everywhere!! The magic chalk is nice and doesn’t make a mess of the cueball and Object balls. So I use predator anywhere but my home table and magic chalk at home!

Again- just some idiots opinion but if it helps you make a decision - great!

Happy holidays

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was posting this for anyone who is considering any of these products.

I first have two playing shafts that are identical spec and play the same.
I had a searing medium on one and a pressed triangle on the other.
Here’s my feedback.
1. They both take chalk well, the searing seems to “hold” chalk a bit better
2. The searing tip needs almost no work or scuffing. The triangle needs a quick scuff weekly with regular daily play.
3. They both are about the same with shape, if I had to give the edge to one I think the searing wins by a hair.

The final decision for me was feel. The triangle in my opinion gives a smooth hit with better feel and feedback. Triangle has just always risen to the top for me over the last decade. I’ve found if you press it for 30 seconds in a vice so it's flat on both sides then install it - it’s perfect and creates perfect uniformity so you don’t get a bad one.

I also got a chance to use both predator and magic chalk

Overall the predator is a better chalk for me as it’s “creamier” and goes on nice but the downside is it gets everywhere!! The magic chalk is nice and doesn’t make a mess of the cueball and Object balls. So I use predator anywhere but my home table and magic chalk at home!

Again- just some idiots opinion but if it helps you make a decision - great!

Happy holidays

I have to say that I have never tried a Searing. All of my shafts have hard pressed triangles. I never have to shape them or scuff them and all I use is house provided Master Chalk. Very little maintainance and very inexpensive tips.

Dognit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW

Think Ive tried every "Hot" new tip made in the last 10 years. Aint found one yet that can give a hard Triangle the 8 ball.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips

Like many others I try nearly all the new gadgets that come onto the marketplace. How else you gonna have an opinion? I have the Searing tip on three or more shafts and like them. Good feedback, hold chalk adequately, retain their shape, and need little maintenance. But sooner or later I'll discover, again, there really isn't a magic tip and go back to basics...... and a Triangle tip.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW

Think Ive tried every "Hot" new tip made in the last 10 years. Aint found one yet that can give a hard Triangle the 8 ball.

You got that right. Done experimenting. A million products out there to separate you from your money. Old school is the best school is what I have concluded. All I need is a $500 shaft and a $700 break cue. Not.