Pitted Valley Slate

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious, anyone ever seen an older sheet metal corner style valley table with slate that was pitted everywhere, not from damage but just pitted randomly across the surface of the entire slate. Kinda resembles an old man who had one really bad case of acne as a young man. None of the pitting is terribly deep. Looks like I am gonna have one heck of a long bondo job to do.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Check to make sure someone haven’t flipped the slate over..one way to tell would be the pocket radius chamfer, if it has a pocket chamfer on both sides its a telltale sign that it’s been flipped and someone chamfered/rounded the pocket cut on the slate. If it’s chamfer side down it’s obvious it’s flipped.

Rob.M

cnyncrvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check to make sure someone haven’t flipped the slate over..one way to tell would be the pocket radius chamfer, if it has a pocket chamfer on both sides its a telltale sign that it’s been flipped and someone chamfered/rounded the pocket cut on the slate. If it’s chamfer side down it’s obvious it’s flipped.

Rob.M

Yeah I am pretty sure the slate was flipped the more I have looked at the table, I can clearly see the honing marks on what is now the bottom of the slate. Its an early 80's table from what I can tell, last time it was worked on was 2011 and I dont think anyone has ever scraped the old glue off the table as there was between a 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch of build up on both sides of the slate. The supports still had the valley backed cloth strips glued to them. Judging by the fact that it had a bunch of little bouncing balls inside the cabinet and several prize tickets I am guessing it came out of some long closed arcade and they probably had their in house maintenance guy redo the cloth when it needed it.