It has taken me longer

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
than expected, but I finally have it coming together in spite of the naysayers I have some dialing to do that will take a bit longer, I am in rush to get it right!

Attachments

• IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 442

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
A bit of advice, put a set of legs in the middle of that bench, as the benchtop will sag over time if you do not do that and will change the levelness of the lathe bed. Especially as both the extension bed and main bed meet there.
Dave

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input I realized that I also need to place some gussets in place after moving to the location it is in now, I was also going to place a 2x8 3/16 metal plate under the entire lathe, I just haven't had a chance to get to Nashville to pick one up.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input I realized that I also need to place some gussets in place after moving to the location it is in now, I was also going to place a 2x8 3/16 metal plate under the entire lathe, I just haven't had a chance to get to Nashville to pick one up.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
A bit of advice, put a set of legs in the middle of that bench, as the benchtop will sag over time if you do not do that and will change the levelness of the lathe bed. Especially as both the extension bed and main bed meet there.
Dave

I agree. A machinist level on the ways will tell if you have achieved a reasonable rigid setup. ( A machinist level will also be handy to check if there is any twist along the length of the two beds.) Looking at the bench and bed-pair as shown I would expect significant movement if you lean on the bench a bit. With a way to measure the movement you can verify any improvement, like the 2x8x3/6 (rectangular tube?) reinforcement. A good lathe won't move when you lean on it.

Dave

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using a machinist level in 2 to check all levels and plan on adding the additional legs in the middle to provide the extra rigidity to the table, I wasn't sure in the beginning if this would be adequate, I also need to add gussets to beef everything up as well. Thanks for the input.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making the bottom of the points that touch the ground adjustable will be very handy in time. You can then use those points to keep the machine level with. Just a 3/8 UNF bolt and nut and large thick washer will work very well, or tap the plate steel with a matching thread for your bolt.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was out doing some trial run work on the lathe today and realized that I am going to have to make some changes before long like as soon as I can! My thought is to get some square plate that will fit inside some 2 x 2 square tubing, remove one leg at a time drill a hole to mount the square plate and that being like 2 inch square the slide the metal tube up over the square plate drill the holes for large screws so that the tubing is secured the plates then do as you mentioned weld plated to the bottom of the tubing with adjustable feet. the table top as it is over 11/2 thick as it is now but the legs do need more stability and not sure if gussets alone will do the job. But I need to get back in stroke and play some, I had nose surgery in December so I couldn't play as I couldn't bend my head down for long. But I did get to try my hand at some Delrin for collets today and it worked ok just need some do some fine tuning.