Applying Neuroscience to Pool

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
All the technical analysis and science forced into the process always makes me think of the guys I have seen that were completely whacked out of their minds on substances of all sorts...and played pool far better than I ever will.

Agree i see it often , with the ol wallabushka as well

cptsprmkt

Registered
thanks for putting up this thread.

The brain-computer we all have working when we are shooting is a black box, we don't really don't know what's going on in there, but routine is clearly a given when we are talking a target sport that requires still objects being moved toward a target. Hand/eye coordination would seem to benefit from a small extension of quiet eye target perception time, but obviously you wouldn't want to stare at it; flow, rhythm, stillness all of these are involved in golf, archery, riflery, billiards, etc. Finding the right combination of all of these so that you're "in stroke" so things become automatic is I think what probably fascinates us all.

I've always wanted to ask Dr. Dave if he had ever come across any studies looking at improvement in hand eye coordination for players who had dedicated to playing with their offhand for some amount of time every practice session. I think it would be interesting to look at.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Modeling success

We can only duplicate what is successful if we know what that looks like. Success leaves clues. This isn’t about bringing a bunch of analysis to the table, it’s about eliminating it. It’s said that experts need to make fewer decisions. They generate fewer options because they already know what to do in most situations. Knowledge let’s us simplify. Uncertainty is the real enemy, it lives with ignorance. Learn to use information as a tool to get away from overwhelming options. It helps us sift for the nuggets.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great thread. A buddy recently shared something very similar with me that he has been working on getting up out of the shot at the first sign of “Conflict”. Whether the stance doesn’t feel quite right, or not being committed to this shot, or someone walking by and distracting. GET UP. How many times do I know that I’m going to miss because something doesn’t feel right when I’m down but I pull the trigger anyway. And in those cases I almost always miss. So, I have been working on this. Recognizing the feeing of “Conflict” and getting up. Not all the time but getting better.

I relate to it being a feeling. Using the label “certainty“ is my choice. Dissonance to me is a better label than conflict. It simply means that something seems “off”. In research on vestibular disturbance “certainty” is used. The effect of the disturbance is that they feel off balance. They are unable to make decisions since they feel “uncertain”. In other research with good spellers they found that when a word looked right in their mind they got a feeling on the midline of their body that they took to mean that they was certain of its correctness. The midline of the body is where the center of gravity is located and that is where our sense of balance originates. Several concepts in our language are related to our sense of balance. Decisions are tipping points, a balance metaphor. The scales of justice represent decisions balancing the significant factors. So how do we use this?

In physical disciplines there is a concept called centering. It represents both a mental and a physical state. It has the advantage of being a flexible point from which to react. It is a still point from which all decisions originate. Even animals sense things there. Vets will tell you that an animal presenting with a cocked, off center, head will have balance problems. Think about human body language when someone has doubt and how their head tilt portrays their “conflict”.

In short certainty is sensed on the body’s midline. You might call it a gut feeling or a certainty in your heart of hearts.

I also feel it in my grip. If I sense that I’m aligned my cueing hand can stay passive, not making a subconscious adjustment. I pull that sense to the surface and/or the midline certainty test before shooting. If I sense dissonance between the desired outcome and the current body dynamic, I stand up and resolve it before getting back down. That skill is still one in the development stage. Total focus and commitment are needed. Without them the sense of certainty we call confidence is hard to achieve.