Misc shaft, need help identifying

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Hi,

This is a shaft a friend of mine obtained recently for his Mezz playing cue, it was a nice price. Generally, it is in very good condition, blueing from play, perfectly straight. pin is 5/16-14 that can fit the Mezz united joint. it has 2 thick rings and 2 thinner rings. overall, a great playing shaft, solid hitter. but both the seller and buyer did not know who made it, can you help with identification?

thanks for your input.

here goes some pics

WP_20130911_003_zpsf7fd0c66.jpg

WP_20130911_009_zps9fa2d2fd.jpg

WP_20130911_010_zps4a6b1463.jpg

WP_20130911_011_zps3a9109b3.jpg

WP_20130911_015_zps05f07b82.jpg

WP_20130911_019_zpsdb392829.jpg

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know how anyone can say who made it aside from knowing a cuemaker that uses those exact rings. Even then they can be added on later.

Looks exactly like my old Joss shaft from the early 90s. Mine had an identical grain cut and that joint looks just like a Joss one.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pilot looks like many what productions shafts use, but the collar is something a cuemaker would use. Given that it is a 5/16x14 threaded shaft, there is no telling unless you could find a cuemaker that uses those exact ring styles. Just like the post above, it could be a production shaft and rings/collar were added later.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
Don't know how anyone can say who made it aside from knowing a cuemaker that uses those exact rings. Even then they can be added on later.

Looks exactly like my old Joss shaft from the early 90s. Mine had an identical grain cut and that joint looks just like a Joss one.

The pilot looks like many what productions shafts use, but the collar is something a cuemaker would use. Given that it is a 5/16x14 threaded shaft, there is no telling unless you could find a cuemaker that uses those exact ring styles. Just like the post above, it could be a production shaft and rings/collar were added later.

Thanks for your input. yes, I do think the only way to know is if someone has a shaft with the exact ring. Joss is good for me.

From the posts I have on this, I can see the ring is not at all popular and certainly not a signature ring of any cuemaker, but I don't think this is a production at all, wood is way better than the production shafts I and my friend have, maybe it is old and they used the good wood then. I also saw some cuemakers that use many type and style of rings, this could be a one-off from anybody.

anymore input would be appreciated.
Cuong.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I would need some more ideas on this.

Shaft is realy heavy at 4.4oz, close to 13mm tip diameter.

Thanks,
Cuong.

Last edited: