Slowly Regaining Consistency

FairladyZ

The Boss Stooge
Staff member
Silver Member
This seems to be the hardest part so far for me..... I've been at it for about 2 weeks after a 17yr pool vacation. Back in the day, I was a solid B player....not anywhere close to that now.... I've been putting in atleast an hour a day, playing 9-ball with myself, or just setting up shots that I have trouble with and being repetitious....but at times it gets frustrating when I miss seemingly really easy stuff, and then more difficult shots come up and I nail them with no problem. I'm finally getting comfortable in my stroke again, but still annoyed with the inconsistency... Perhaps its just old age and my eyes not being what they used to.....but JEEZ!!

/rant

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me about it! I took a few years off and am just starting back up within the last 10 days myself. I was never that great to begin with, I lack natural talent and worked hard to become barely proficient and only one tiny step away from a banger. But I do love this game and love being back at the table. It is frustrating at times, I've been missing easy cuts lately and then making all sorts of banks I have no business pulling off right now...go figure. Still...feels great having the stick back in my hands again and hoping to at least get back to where I once was in the near future and working to improve from there.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea i know the feeling about starting back up after a long layoff.

not saying your issue is the same as mine but i find that the reason i miss easy shots while pocketing harder shots is lack of focus.

in my opinion the key to consistency is to treat every shot the same no matter how hard or easy the shot may seem.

have you ever noticed you can make a real hard shot and miss the next shot no matter how easy it was ?

the reason is on the hard shot is you are extremely focused and thinking of nothing but pocketing that ball. on your next shot you are still on a high from making what seemed an imppossible shot and dog an easy one. the reason you missed is because you did not put the same focus on your next shot also.

the more consistent you are in treating every shot the same the more consistent your game is. btw i still dog a lot of easy shots lol.