9 ball drill --- new???

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought of a 9ball drill while playing a few racks by myself yesterday. It's pretty simple and mainly for beginners, although I have not had the chance to really try it out too much yet. The idea behind it is to learn patterns and play better position. It is completely offensive in nature.

- Play a set number of racks (10 is a good number) either ball-in-hand after the break or roll them out at random.
- The goal is to run out (obviously).
- In this drill you play to specific points on the table for the CB to land after every shot, not just a general "zone".
- If you miss your intended placement by enough distance that would severely impact a run-out, simply move the ball in the "correct" place you had intended it to go.
- After you play ten racks, count your ball-in-hands per rack, and take an average of those numbers.

I think this drill will reveal natural paths for the cueball, and reveal what paths are not ideal for position. As you progress, try to reduce that number. Ideally, you would run out every time and not need any ball-in-hands. Treat this as a Modified Ghost Drill. Instead of quitting the rack if as soon as you miss, play the rest of the table and learn the ideal positions that allow for the run-out. Some of you may be like me and get frustrated by the "score" that some drills use, keep in mind that this is more about discovering new things at the table than anything else. The number of BIH's are mainly a tool to learn new or interesting patterns that are more effective.

If any of you want to try this and post your results or give feedback, please do so in this thread. This may have been thought of before I'm sure, so share any links that you may know of, that way I can look like a big goof for not doing any research before posting... :grin:

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if it's new but sounds like a good concept. Just playing the ghost does critique, but doesn't offer much in constructive feedback by itself. That's why I recommend beginners start off with 3 or 4 ball patterns, and if you miss your target by a wide margin, set up the shot again rather than just complete the run out (or not). It helps to have more than one chance at a new shot you're just learning and a bit less discouraging not worrying about what the score is when you're in training. After a bit of training and practice, then you can test yourself to see how much you're progressing. Don't expect big results each and every time. It's not always realistic.

Zhero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good drill, what if you miss the object ball? Do you place it where it was or leave it where you missed, this could change the pattern to the next few shots.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good drill, what if you miss the object ball? Do you place it where it was or leave it where you missed, this could change the pattern to the next few shots.

I think that would count as another ball in hand. You can either move the CB into a better position on the missed OB and take one ball-in-hand, or reset the shot completely and count it as two. The idea is to always be in good positions, and minimize difficult shots. If you're missing hangers, then there are other stroke drills that may be more helpful. I need to try it out a bit more and come across these types of situations. Thanks for the input.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I featured this guy about twice on here as he seems to be some kind of coach that deals with top player, here is his rating system that's somewhat like your idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvTxNGo28g
Carlo and one other player has done it from what i remember, he has this young player out of germany that's like 12 years old who is a beast now.

Last edited: