Hammerhead break tip on playing cue anyone?

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hammer head break tip on my break cue. I think it does a nice job. I was messing around the other day and was using my break cue as a playing cue. I got to say wow. I was impressed! I could shoot just as well with it as I do my regular playing cue really. I mean I needed to make sure to apply chalk every shot to make sure not to miscue, but I do that anyways for my routine. I was able to get English and even draw the full length of the table with the hammerhead tip. Granted it was a 7 foot bar table, but that's what I play on anyways. Obviously the English was not as good as my regular playing cue with a kamui tip, but honestly I think I use more English than I need on most shot. Sometimes less is better when it comes to using English to run a table.
More than anything though, I loved the feel of hitting my shots with the hammerhead tip. No vibration at all. It felt amazing! I'm thinking of taking off my kamui black tip and installing a hammerhead tip on my regular playing cue and see how it goes.
Has anyone else tried this, or shot around with your hammerhead tip? Just looking for other thoughts or if I'm just being delusional here lol. But it sure felt great and Played great to me.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've shot around with my break cue which has the hammerhead break tip. You're right it is fun and can get plenty of English. But I wouldn't use one on my player, you obviously can't get the same amount of touch/feel as you do with a leather tip.

If you like it that much though why not put a hard leather tip on your player?

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
My playing cue has a Ki-Tech hard on it and my break cue has a Samsara break tip on it. I can switch between the two pretty freely. The biggest difference for me is the radius on the tip. My break cue is pretty flat but the player is a dime radius.

What hardness do you usually play with?

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've run a few racks with my break cue. And the odd time when I'm done all my planning only to realize that I grabbed my break cue by accident, I'll still finish the shot with my break cue no problem and go get my playing cue. But to play exclusively with a hammerhead is crazy. Kamui Black Hard wouldn't be horrible tho. Or maaaaybe a samsara. Triangle tips pressed for breaking also aren't bad. A taom also actually holds chalk surprisingly well. You know what, just follow your heart.

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about a hard lether tip instead possibly.....but I'm not sure it would feel the same. The thing I liked most about the hammerhead tip was the way it felt hitting the ball with it. The tip absorbed most of the shot and I hardly felt anything in the handle. I guess the lack of feeling is what I like. Would a hard leather tip also do this do you think, or it because of the plastic in the hammerhead?

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about a hard lether tip instead possibly.....but I'm not sure it would feel the same. The thing I liked most about the hammerhead tip was the way it felt hitting the ball with it. The tip absorbed most of the shot and I hardly felt anything in the handle. I guess the lack of feeling is what I like. Would a hard leather tip also do this do you think, or it because of the plastic in the hammerhead?

I'm not sure if a leather tip would achieve the same effect...maybe a samsara.

Wild guess here, you ever think about getting a ferrule made out g10, or having a bit of g10 separating w.e leather tip from the ferrule?. So say g10 ferrule with a kamui black hard. You'd still get control, but the g10 would remove a bunch of the feedback (Though why you want this is beyond me).

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It might also be a combination of the solid tip, and if your break cue has a stiffer taper. I think you might be attracted to the feeling of pure energy transfer. I'd guess with a playing cue, you feel like you're losing energy to the flex of the cue, or the compression of the tip, and it makes you work that extra bit harder.

It's probably just refreshing having pure energy in, equals energy out. You touch the ball and away it goes kinda deal.

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably just refreshing having pure energy in, equals energy out. You touch the ball and away it goes kinda deal.[/QUOTE]
You might have just nailed it! I never even considered that before, but it makes a lot of sense. I feel like with my playing cue I have to work to make the ball move. I think I may try a shaft with a stiffer taper and see if that's what I'm looking for. Thanks.