15 Ball Rotation Ghost?

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Just wondered if anyone gambles on this and if so what the usual odds setup is?

I've been playing quite a bit of rotation recently instead of straight pool so might post a vid soon.

It's a great game.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Just wondered if anyone gambles on this and if so what the usual odds setup is?

I use this game as my main practice game (not to 61 points, but to try to run out), but I've never even considered gambling at it. On the rare occasions when I actually do run out (and by rare I mean, like, if it was a steak, it would still be walking around in a field somewhere), I feel like I've just strung 6 nine ball racks together. And going to 61 is not much easier because you still have to make it to the 11, assuming nothing falls out of order, at which point you'd probably be out anyway. If I were to gamble against the 15 ball ghost, I would definitely want points instead of games, and even if the ghost was giving up 20 points a rack, that would still be awfully tough action. Interesting thought, though, now I have to go home and try it. :)

hobokenapa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So it's just like the 9-ball ghost but with 15 balls? So, break the balls up, then take ball in hand and try to run out?

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Aaron_S said:
I use this game as my main practice game (not to 61 points, but to try to run out), but I've never even considered gambling at it. On the rare occasions when I actually do run out (and by rare I mean, like, if it was a steak, it would still be walking around in a field somewhere), I feel like I've just strung 6 nine ball racks together. And going to 61 is not much easier because you still have to make it to the 11, assuming nothing falls out of order, at which point you'd probably be out anyway. If I were to gamble against the 15 ball ghost, I would definitely want points instead of games, and even if the ghost was giving up 20 points a rack, that would still be awfully tough action. Interesting thought, though, now I have to go home and try it. :)

love the rare quote! :d It is tough game, can be frustrating, I found I often do the hard work early on and then miss a simple ball towards the end thinking the racks over. I almost ran 3 in a row couple of nights ago but that took a while. You really need a good break though to avoid as many clusters as possible. I play it with ball in hand, and of course then run all 15 in order (hob). I think JS might have mentioned this before, something like he gets 5:1 gambling, or maybe that was 1 pocket ghost?

I'm sure they must play the 15 ball rotation ghost in the Philippines?

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hobokenapa said:
So it's just like the 9-ball ghost but with 15 balls? So, break the balls up, then take ball in hand and try to run out?

Rotation is a game played using a standard pool table and standard rack of fifteen US (spot/stripe) pool balls.

Combining the format of 9-ball with some elements of snooker, the object of the game is to score at least 61 points. Points are scored by potting the balls on the table, and the number of points awarded is equal to the number printed on the ball potted; i.e. potting the 4-ball scores the player 4 points.

The balls are racked in a triangle as usual, except with the 1-ball at the front, the 2-ball and 3-ball in the back two corners, and the 15-ball (the most valuable ball) in the centre.

The critical rule is that the lowest numbered ball on the table must be struck first, regardless of the player's intentions of which ball to pot. Players may use the lowest numbered ball to plant other balls and score a higher number of points, as long as the lowest numbered ball is hit first. Points are also counted if consequently potting a higher numbered ball is unintentional (or 'fluked').

If a foul is committed, by potting or losing the cue ball, or by hitting no ball or an incorrect ball, the other player may place the cue ball anywhere on the table to take their next shot. Some people play the game with the 'three strikes' rule; if a player fouls three consecutive times during a frame they automatically forfeit that frame.

Some attractions with Rotation include performing unconventional or difficult shots to reach the correct ball, and quite often making risky attempts to score higher amounts of points by performing advanced shots such as plants, doubles and swerves.

A frame is won when either player reaches 61 points or more. This mark is defined by taking the sum of all fifteen balls, 120, divided by two (to make 60) and adding one, to ensure a definite winner and avoid any possibility of a drawn frame.

That being said: try playing this game, it's *GREAT* cluster breaking practice and shape practice. Imagine the traffic on a barbox :D

Oh and by the way, the rare quote was hilarious. I was recently at Foxx and Hound and I swear the burger they cooked was so rare that it was bleeding on the plate as if I had shot it just then. I mean it literally needed to walk off the plate.

I did end up getting 5 hours of free pool out of the deal on their nice diamond tables though :D

Last edited:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think John Schmidt said Alcano offered to play it getting 3 to 1 odds. John said he (John) played it later with a soft break and racking all the lower balls in the front and beat 3 to 1 by a little.

unknownpro

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, if I understand correctly, John and Ronnie can run out 15 balls in order with about 33% of success or slightly better? That's just incredible.

At my absolute best, I can do that with 9 balls...:(