10-ball layout on "JAWS" 6.09.09

dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
So, they recovered "Jaws" and made all the pockets even, so it's playing pretty smooth right now, and "easy" compared to how it was a few weeks ago.

Still, everything has that new slidy feel to it, so it's a little like ice skating and I don't have the feel of it yet.

This was a layout I was faced with last night after the break, practicing against the ghost.

CueTable Help



I am not perfect at diagramming these things, but here's what I saw:

The 1 went on the break, the 2 does NOT pass the 9 into that corner pocket, but the 5 does.

I took BIH and shot the 2 in the side, sliding towards the only shape I could dream of on the 3.

I got lucky, I know it's a low percentage, but what was I going to do??

I came up juuuust short, which actually worked out well.

CueTable Help

 
Like someone said in my last thread, I just kept makin' balls and playing speed I thought would get me a look... and hoped I didn't run out of luck.

I roll the three in soft, hoping not to move to far away from the 4, and the damned 6 rolled right up on it!

Luckily (again) I still had enough to nudge the 4 in and bump the 6 for a look, however tough on the 5.

CueTable Help

 
Now I'm faced with this, which is a pretty manageable out, so long as I glide that 5 in pocket speed, and don't mind getting "under" the 7.

CueTable Help



I know some (and me too on an easier table, esp an 8'er) would prefer to stiff the 5 in and pop over one rail. <B>

I think unless you're playing on buckets and free wheeling, you are crossing you're position zone and may scratch.



CueTable Help

 
Last edited:
I chose to pull the cue to roughly where it started, mostly for speed reasons, and I try to play shape where I don't "arrive" but rather move "down a runway" so speed is not so critical.

CueTable Help



I got a little "juicey" trying to touch the 5 in and ended up "under" the 6, which sends me too close to the 10-ball and the rail for comfort. So I hit a soft follow "heavy ball" shot and let the CB roll to the rail and out.
 
From there it was a pretty routine "mop up".

I got a little straight on the 7 and had to hit that running inside shot that tends to jar. I hit it a little thin, maybe avoiding the jar, and got LOTS of lateral movement out of it, but still ended up fine on the 8.

I was a little tentative on the 8, and ended up almost "50 yard line" for me on the 9. I generally prefer the rolling inside, two rail shape from the 9 to the 10, you're shape just gets better and better as soon as you come off the second rail, AND you lower the scratch percentage.

CueTable Help



The "pop-over" shot (from 9 to 10) has never been my favorite, but I have been working on it lately, at least forcing myself to shoot it as a simpler option than juicing everything around 3 rails.

I've adopted the "never up, never in" addage from golf, meaning if I don't let it get to the rail, it CAN'T scratch. The down side is, sometimes I get TOO careful and end up a little short, like I did on this 10-ball.

Still, the cloth was new and fast, and the pockets were taking balls soft so I just rrrrrrrrrolled it in.

By no means perfect, but hey, all's well that ends well. :thumbup:
 
Last edited:
As an aside, these two outs I have posted are starting to drive home the point that if you just keep making balls, and don't give up, sometimes you'll be amazed what you can unscramble.

No, these two were not "normal" outs for me, I am still struggling in "B" level, but I am working on it, and where would the drama be if I posted about the easy ones?

:wink:
 
9-ball layout on JAWS vs. the Ghost SLUGGED MYSELF!!!

moved to new thread. :grinning-moose:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top