A Thanksgiving Story, Part 1

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dan White was kind enough to once say that some of the stuff I wrote reminded him of the works of the late, great Jean Shepherd, author of "A Christmas Story." It's a great compliment. I'm killing time while the bird roasts and it's been a few years since I posted this, so consider it a poor man's "A Thanksgiving Story." Hope you enjoy.

(insert flashback music)

Shortly into my high school years I procured a car, or more accurately, my father helped me procure a car, a ’65 forest green Mustang, and I broke free of the room within walking distance of my home that was my pool spawning grounds, The Billiard Palacade and I found myself swimming upstream (almost literally) to my new home-away-from-home, “up the hill” on Mission Street, a hollowed ground known to local pool players as “Town & Country Billiards.” I’ll never forget the first time I wandered in one night out of the foggy Daly City cold.

It was an old bank building that sat on its own corner, sort of like a miniature Flat Iron Building of New York fame -- it had that sort of triangular shape, just one story, though. You’d walk up a short set of concrete steps, through glass doors, and walk into the room, tables to your left protected by a black iron railing that curved around up to the front desk on your right. It was a pretty gaudy looking place with red velvet wall paper, white-sided National Shuffle Board tables covered with beige cloth, and Tiffany-style lamps over each 4 ½ foot by 9 table.

Arriving at the desk you’d usually be greeted by the owner, Stan Cleaner, a New York transplant who had seen it all and done it all. On one of the first evening forages I made into the room I was challenged by a young short haired blonde guy, playing with a Gina. He wanted to play 9ball. I sidled up to Stan and asked, “Do I have a chance?” And Stan, who had somehow already divined my place in the substrata of pool players in his room said in a very non-committal but totally committal way that my challenger was, “the best in house.” That I had no chance was unnecessarily unspoken. I passed on my opportunity to play Steve Votter, probably at the time, one of the best 9ball players in California.

Daytime visits there, with the large windows along one side of the room allowing the afternoon sun to filter in, are still vivid and magical to me in my memories of the joint all these years removed. One day I was playing on a table near the center of the room and was surprised to see the legendary Tugboat Whaley walk in. Ancient, slightly bowed, but still rosy-cheeked with pure white hair, suspenders in place he confidently shuffled in, opened up a beat up old black cylindrical leather case, pulled out his brass jointed cue and start hitting balls with a soft easy grace. Shortly thereafter I was again surprised when I saw Dorothy Wise, then several times Women’s U.S 14.1 Open champ, come in. Trim, grandmotherly, and coiffed, she put her own cue together and they began to spar, stopping occasionally for Tugboat to impart some bit of wisdom to Ms. Wise. I probably made two balls that afternoon as I strained to listen in above the juke box and glean what ever crumbs of knowledge fell from their table. On other days Tugboat would often play Dennis in the alcove behind the desk that had two tables -- only one of them, the one nearest the desk, was “the” table -- and they’d be on it playing a refined game of 14.1 for hours on end. Watching these two elegantly manage and dismantle rack after rack was possibly the incipient start of my love affair with straight pool.

As time went on, I came to know and assume my role amongst the whole cast of motley characters, most near my age, that choose to rush to the pool hall each day, rather than participate in other, more serious life-endeavors. Well I remember being overjoyed to be at the pool hall the Friday night of my senior prom. After all, pool was a lady whose company you could enjoy, savor, and didn’t have to buy a corsage.

Jerry, Dale, Devlin, Rico, 10-Speed, Bob Babba, Dennis, Vince, Steve, Jeff, Eugene, Bob Langstrom, and the rest now lost to memory... It seemed that for several years of my life it all revolved around getting to the pool hall as soon as humanly possible, being heartily hailed by my compatriots, and staying up until I could put off sleeping no more, or the demands of real life -- school, family, job -- could no longer be held at bay. Without any doubt I can categorically state that my major source of calories for more years than I now care to recall was the Landshire sandwich company. In particular, their “Special Hoagie,” which as a regular, I was allowed to go behind the desk and cook myself in the pool hall’s min-oven. I had it down to a science: taking it out of the pool hall frig, carefully removing the plastic wrap, placing it in the oven just so, for a precise amount of time, removing the piping-hot said culinary jewel from the mini-oven, slathering it with a golden brown mustard, and chasing it with an ice cold cup of root beer. Life could not possibly get any better.

Over the eight or so years I spent living there, the troupe that hung together survived countless adventures and, statistically, many of us should be dead or permanently maimed now (or at least done serious jail time). I remember the afternoon Crazy Bob Langstrom came into the pool hall, ecstatic that he had just purchased a brand new “Sterling Moss Green” Triumph 6. Now basically, this is a British vehicle that closely resembles a tin metal soap box on wheels with an engine with enough torque to get most cars airborne. Bob wanted to take someone (it was a two-seater) for a spin and show them what the car could do. Everyone just sort of looked at each other, studied their feet for what seemed like an eternity, hands in pockets, until I finally, innocently chirped, “Sure. I’ll go.” Now maybe it was because I hadn’t hung out at the pool hall for long enough at that point, or maybe I was just being stupid again (a frequent state of mine in those days), but somehow, for just that moment, I had failed to recall that there were reasons Bob Langstrom was known as *Crazy* Bob Angstrom.

We took off from the pool hall at about 70 miles an hour through a mixed residential/business neighborhood and hit California Highway 280 doing 80 mph. (This is when I started to get a little concerned.) Bob took it up to 110 on a rather busy public highway up through the Sierra Hills until I pretty much started to look the same color as his shiny new car. The coupe de grace was coming down the off ramp at 90 miles an hour and having to decelerate fast enough to not fly through the stop sign at the end of the exit ramp (and cross-traffic), which is about when I actually, physically, felt the blood totally drain from my face from the negative G’s.

But, through the grace of God or pure dumb luck, we survived intact and without judicial punishment, all the countless late night runs though the mountains to play blackjack in Lake Tahoe or Reno. You have to remember: this was before the advent of “boats." Going to Tahoe, or Reno, or Vegas was special. Free non-stop booze; single deck blackjack (double deck was rare); friendlier game rules and machine odds; you were paid off in real no-kidding silver dollars; and the cocktail waitresses always seemed happy to flirt with you a bit. For whatever reasons, it was a richer, more exotic experience than going to a casino five minutes away from your house.
(continued)

Lou Figueroa
 
Last edited:
You had me sold by mentioning Jean Shepherd. Those of us of a certain age who grew up in north Jersey or the NYC area may be fans of Shep. He had a nightly radio show on WOR, from, as I recall 10 to 10:45 PM. And a live 2 hour show on Saturday night in the Village from The Gaslight?

If you would like to know about Shep look up his book, "In God we trust, all other's pay cash".

It was the best of live radio.

Good story Lou. BTW, that was a TR6. It had that little hump down the hood. Oh, yeah.
 
You had me sold by mentioning Jean Shepherd. Those of us of a certain age who grew up in north Jersey or the NYC area may be fans of Shep. He had a nightly radio show on WOR, from, as I recall 10 to 10:45 PM. And a live 2 hour show on Saturday night in the Village from The Gaslight?

If you would like to know about Shep look up his book, "In God we trust, all other's pay cash".

It was the best of live radio.

Good story Lou. BTW, that was a TR6. It had that little hump down the hood. Oh, yeah.


Thanks, Buzzard. I never had a chance to hear his radio shows but grew up reading some of his stories like "Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories" and "Lost at C." Great stuff.

Lou Figueroa
 
(insert flashback music)
I'm thinking Dylan...

Shortly into my high school years I procured a car, or more accurately, my father helped me procure a car, a ’65 forest green Mustang, and I broke free of the room within walking distance of my home that was my pool spawning grounds, The Billiard Palacade and I found myself swimming upstream (almost literally) to my new home-away-from-home, “up the hill” on Mission Street, a hollowed ground known to local pool players as “Town & Country Billiards.” I’ll never forget the first time I wandered in one night out of the foggy Daly City cold.

It was an old bank building that sat on its own corner, sort of like a miniature Flat Iron Building of New York fame -- it had that sort of triangular shape, just one story, though. You’d walk up a short set of concrete steps, through glass doors, and walk into the room, tables to your left protected by a black iron railing that curved around up to the front desk on your right. It was a pretty gaudy looking place with red velvet wall paper, white-sided National Shuffle Board tables covered with beige cloth, and Tiffany-style lamps over each 4 ½ foot by 9 table.
Pics or it didn't happen...

pj
chgo

View attachment 70234
View attachment 70228
 

Attachments

  • for lou.jpg
    for lou.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 254
  • for lou 2.jpg
    for lou 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I'm thinking Dylan...


Pics or it didn't happen...

pj
chgo

View attachment 70234
View attachment 70228


Holy cow. Do those bring back memories, lol, particularly The Palacade. Thanks, Patrick.

(insert more flashback music)

My first pool room was The Billiard Palacade, near the corner of Mission and Geneva, in San Francisco. I probably spent two or three of my formative years there, sort of like a recently spawned baby salmon who stays in the tidal pools before attempting the run upstream.

It was a great room.

You’d walk in and there was a snooker table off to the right in the front window, where “the big boys” played pink ball. The counter was to the left. Perhaps a dozen or more Gold Crowns. The room had huge vaulted ceilings, a reminder of the vaudeville theatre it was in a past life.

I remember a blonde woman who ran the place who helped me procure my second cue, an Adams if I recall. My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sporting goods department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with a huge glass dome. It was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

At The Emporium, The Cue, which became the object of my lust, was displayed in a glass case. From the first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off it. And, with every passing visit, my desire and passion grew and grew until it could not be denied. So, somehow I managed to scrimp and save until I had squirreled away the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for The Cue -- with its own faux leather luggage style case, with red flocked interior (of course) which showed off The Cue to best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

To me, baby pool player that I was, The Cue was truly a thing of transcendent beauty: polished brass joint with white plastic rings; rich, polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I suffered some withering words offered in fatherly counsel about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. Having The Cue in my very own sweaty little mitts was worth it all.

Frequently, locked in my room, I would loving wipe down the forearm of The Cue, using numerous paper towels and my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching a wafting scent of perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge will remind me of The Cue and our first summer together. (After a few months I realized that the black luggage style case made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.)

And so, cue in case in hand, I would make the 20 minute walk from my home on Winding Way to the pool room. There, at The Billiard Palacade, somehow I automatically fit in, immediately accepted into the fraternal order of pool players that populated the joint. I used to favor a table on the right side off the room, perhaps three or four tables in. To this day I can still recall the pure, almost orgasmic joy I felt when I ran my first full rack of 15 balls off that table.

The two best players in the room were: a guy called “Big Bob” and who looked like Robert Goulet dressed as a lumber jack, and Jim, mustachioed, long dark hair parted in the middle, and who favored bell bottom jeans and leather jackets. There was also a whole cast of other supporting players like the two black brothers (no, they were actually related) Sammy and Fred, who took to calling me “Mr. Serious” (a nick name which can still elicit a chuckle from those that currently know me). Eventually I’d get to a level of play at which I could beat Sam, but not Fred, who was a straight shootin’ sumgun.

I can’t remember exactly how it came about but at The Palacade there was also an older Italian gentleman there who befriended me and we began playing 25 point games of straight pool together. His name was Guido and he was built like one of those basketed Chianti bottles, glasses, with a big thick shock of pure white hair and a matching mustache. Over the course of the two or so years we played, I improved, and improved, and improved a little more until I was beating Guido 25-2, 25-3, 25-0 and somehow, he would continue to rack the balls for me, always smiling as if he took some kind of pride in my improving play, and never said an unkind or mean spirited word, while my younger, insensitive self poured it on.

Eventually, after I got my first car, I became an adoptee of Town and Country Billiards, in Daly City, a few miles up the road on Mission Street. But I still fondly remember my first pool room.

Lou Figueroa
 
Last edited:
Back
Top