Accuracy of Predator Break Speed App

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey all,

I use the predator break speed app to measure MPH on my breaks. Just curious if anyone has tested this side by side with a radar gun to confirm the accuracy.

I am consistently at around 20mph and can get up closer to 25 once in a while but lose the cueball.

Cheers,

Chris
 
Hey all,

I use the predator break speed app to measure MPH on my breaks. Just curious if anyone has tested this side by side with a radar gun to confirm the accuracy.

I am consistently at around 20mph and can get up closer to 25 once in a while but lose the cueball.

Cheers,

Chris
It's more accurate than a radar gun.

pj
chgo
 
I prefer the radar gun, PJ....assuming it's a good one.
Instead of total elapsed time, like the phone, the gun shows you the speed of the cue ball
AT the one ball....which is the more relevant speed.
I've been told that whitey is going fastest as it leaves the tip....the radar tells you the actual
speed you're breaking the balls at.

Tony Ellin and Busty were clocked at 33 mph in the late 80s......
...this would register higher on an app.
 
I prefer the radar gun, PJ....assuming it's a good one.
Instead of total elapsed time, like the phone, the gun shows you the speed of the cue ball
AT the one ball....which is the more relevant speed.
I've been told that whitey is going fastest as it leaves the tip....the radar tells you the actual
speed you're breaking the balls at.

Tony Ellin and Busty were clocked at 33 mph in the late 80s......
...this would register higher on an app.

The amount the cue ball slows down is incredibly minimal between leaving the tip and hitting the rack. Typical the ball is airborne for part of that time so it gets no friction from the cloth. The app is more accurate.
 
The amount the cue ball slows down is incredibly minimal between leaving the tip and hitting the rack. Typical the ball is airborne for part of that time so it gets no friction from the cloth. The app is more accurate.

I'm not real sure about this, so I'm open minded on it....
...but I remember hearing about people at a barbox play-off getting very high numbers
at their break contests.
Some players that need the 7/8 from any good player were cracking 30 mph.

When I drove out to see it, the radar was set up at one diamond from the kitchen.
....there was no way these guys could have the cue ball going 30 mph at the head-ball
on a 9-foot table.....they didn't have the stroke.

So I still feel that total time vs speed at the head-ball will give us significantly different numbers.

I asked a cop in the early 90s about buying a radar gun...he said that even a reconditioned
one would cost $600....I wish I had bought one to compare...I was too cheap. :o:embarrassed2::embarrassed2:
 
I'm not real sure about this, so I'm open minded on it....
...but I remember hearing about people at a barbox play-off getting very high numbers
at their break contests.
Some players that need the 7/8 from any good player were cracking 30 mph.

When I drove out to see it, the radar was set up at one diamond from the kitchen.
....there was no way these guys could have the cue ball going 30 mph at the head-ball
on a 9-foot table.....they didn't have the stroke.

So I still feel that total time vs speed at the head-ball will give us significantly different numbers.

I asked a cop in the early 90s about buying a radar gun...he said that even a reconditioned
one would cost $600....I wish I had bought one to compare...I was too cheap. :o:embarrassed2::embarrassed2:

The break speed app would give you average velocity, while the radar gun would give you instantaneous velocity at the point where the radar gun was aimed. Either would give you simply a speed to compare breaks that were measured by the same method. The radar gun having the drawback of the measurement being variable based on where the gun is aimed and the app having the drawback of needing to have been set up accurately and affected by background noise. Basically, even if the measurements come off slightly different, neither is going to be so grossly inaccurate that a slow break is registered as a fast break unless you messed up some settings or the app mistook some background noise for the break.
 
We have a Radar unit on the BreakRAK. We have checked against E.T Machines & telephone apps. It is within 1% correct.

The fastest speed we've recorded was Mike Dechaine at 35.1 & the cue ball was still on the table. He hit 34 twice.....
 

Attachments

  • Radar setup on RubberRAK.jpg
    Radar setup on RubberRAK.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,297
We have a Radar unit on the BreakRAK. We have checked against E.T Machines & telephone apps. It is within 1% correct.

The fastest speed we've recorded was Mike Dechaine at 35.1 & the cue ball was still on the table. He hit 34 twice.....

Thanx, CB.....I'm satisfied.

I remember at the '89 Tradeshow, Mike Massey was upset that he couldn't exceed 23 mph.
One kid did 32 mph, but we needed a search party to find whitey...:eek:
 
Fastest I saw at the APA nationals was 27mph in their speed contest.

I thought I broke fast, but my 19.97 said otherwise. :(
 
Back
Top