An alignment method

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is an alignment method I use for shots less than a half ball hit. It uses the contact point as a benchmark so it is continually changing with each shot. Despite the ever changing contact point, consistency develops with the finite number of angles learned as with all fractional systems.
Game_Pool_Table_53x91 #4.png
Best,
Mike

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At about 7-10 degrees to 30 degrees this technique is somewhat close to the ghost ball. With contact point aiming there is an allowance for ball curvature done with familiarizing yourself with each alignment.

The idea behind this setup is it employs the nuts and bolts used by the newest group of aiming systems like CTE, 90/90, and stick aiming which utilize the cue ball as an alignment tool. You aren't aiming at a spot as much as you are aligning using both balls.

Another useful byproduct is how I align with the cue ball. I stand behind the shot and slightly glance at the cue ball letting my peripheral vision attain the alignment as I pick out the contact point on the object ball. I occupy my brain with the double the distance measurement and my subconscious easily puts me on the correct equal distance with the cue ball. I find that I have been getting into stroke much faster as I let my brain take over part of the measuring process. I think we all do this type of aligning as we get into stroke naturally.

Best,
Mike

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
At about 7-10 degrees to 30 degrees this technique is somewhat close to the ghost ball.
Assuming "somewhat close" means less than 10 degrees off, that's about right. It's within 10 degrees of ghost ball for cut angles from about 15 to 25 degrees (CP = 1/4 to 3/8 the distance from OB center to edge).

MIKJARY.jpg

As you can see from the chart, it's dead accurate when the contact point is 1/3 the distance from OB center to edge (about a 20 degree cut), and falls off quickly on either side of that.

Have you tried the traditional Double-the-Distance method? It's accurate at all cut angles and might be easier for some to visualize. See my thread titled "Basic Aiming Methods Illustrated".

pj
chgo

P.S. The fractions in the chart are measured as if the balls are 2-dimensional discs (i.e., from the perspective of the shooter, as with your system).

Last edited:

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I developed this technique after investigating how contact point aiming is done. I aimed at the contact point with the center of the cue ball, but compensated mentally with a different alignment to pocket the ball. I was figuring out how to make the shot with information from my eyes and subconsciously aiming on a different line.

I figured this out by aiming at the contact point and then stopping to see where I was really lined up to in order to pocket the ball. If I would have shot directly at the contact point, I would have under or over cut the ball. I found I was fractionally aligning the cue ball to the object ball in this reverse double distancing method. As long as I move into the shot and maintain this visual setup, I don't have to aim at anything. I am lined up to pocket the ball.

Best,
Mike

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is similar to how I learned to aim. Eventually, I learned to go on autopilot and rarely use it anymore. I experiment alot when practicing and found there's no better aiming system than not aiming at all.