Another proposition shot or one-pocket take out shot

Update - some additional information on the shot

I talked with a local shortstop a few minutes ago about the shot. He was there yesterday when the shot was shown to us on a Diamond table where the corner pocket is a bit too tight for two balls to be placed in the pocket. He told me that he had tried it on a nearby Gold Crown and had been unable to pull the shot off on the Gold Crown. He explained that the slate on the Gold Crown doesn't go as deep into the pocket as the slate on the Diamond and it's also beveled on the edge. When I asked him what percentage of the time he could dig the ball out on the Diamond table, he said he'd been able to do it 70% - 80% of the time. He said he'd be happy to bet even money on making the shot on a Diamond.

So from this additional information, it seems clear that you would have to test the shot on a table before trying it in a game or as a proposition bet. The shot seems to work on Diamond tables and given the widespread use of Diamond tables, it seems to me to be a worthwhile shot to add to your arsenal. If you are better than 50% to make the shot and get safe, you might try it in situations that are not desperation level situations.
 
As my title suggests, I see it as more of a proposition shot, although there could be one-pocket situations where it would be about your only option if trying to win the game.

I just tried it maybe 20 times on my Diamond with 4.5-inch pockets (two balls jam at the jaws), and made it maybe four or five times (20-25%) - I was surprised the percentage was that high.

I shot all the shots from within 18 inches of the pocket and had the most success from within 12 inches. I didn't try the shot from any angle except straight into the pocket (from 45 degrees out of the corner) - I doubt it would work from any other angle.

So everything has to be just right, but when it is the shot is higher percentage than I thought it would be. Maybe with practice I could get it up to near 50%, which makes it a pretty good proposition shot - but the conditions have to be so right that I doubt I'll ever see an opportunity in gameplay.

pj
chgo
 
Back
Top