Any one who know the pool rules real good? Help needed.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing a tourney and one of the tables was really close to flipper games, video games and the like. I used in this case passive earplugs to reduce the noise, not just for concentration but it was LOUD... Like kids birth day multiplied by 2.

Then the next time i played a tourney, same place I asked if this was allowed specially in that noisy environment, different "judge" (It was allowed first time). Answer was "no", this was defined as "iPod gear" for listening to what ever... ?

I do of course understand and agree that we are not allowed to listen to any kind of "Psyche me up - I'm the best" type of speech or music on a iPod, but I feel that taking care of my hearing is something else..

I guess the "judge" was correct, but in case it's wrong it would be good to get a feedback.

K
 
ipods.......

Newton said:
I was playing a tourney and one of the tables was really close to flipper games, video games and the like. I used in this case passive earplugs to reduce the noise, not just for concentration but it was LOUD... Like kids birth day multiplied by 2.

Then the next time i played a tourney, same place I asked if this was allowed specially in that noisy environment, different "judge" (It was allowed first time). Answer was "no", this was defined as "iPod gear" for listening to what ever... ?

I do of course understand and agree that we are not allowed to listen to any kind of "Psyche me up - I'm the best" type of speech or music on a iPod, but I feel that taking care of my hearing is something else..

I guess the "judge" was correct, but in case it's wrong it would be good to get a feedback.

K
In the BCA Nationals in Vegas ipods are banned. However, in weekly tournaments they are allowed around here. Just depends on each tournament you are in. Always check the rulels before wearing them.:)
 
There is no where in the rule book that states ear plugs cannot be worn. Not allowing earplugs is like not allowing deaf people to play. Some people have really sensitive ears and need plugs to play. As long as you can clearly communicate with your opponent then I don't see a problem. However, each tournament director is free to set his/her own rules as they see fit.

So in my opinion, the Judge was wrong....but my opinion doesn't matter :-)

-phillip
 
pip9ball said:
There is no where in the rule book that states ear plugs cannot be worn. Not allowing earplugs is like not allowing deaf people to play. Some people have really sensitive ears and need plugs to play. As long as you can clearly communicate with your opponent then I don't see a problem. However, each tournament director is free to set his/her own rules as they see fit.

So in my opinion, the Judge was wrong....but my opinion doesn't matter :-)

-phillip

He he, well I do understand as mentioned that iPods and the like could not be used which I think is banned over here. But as you mentioned, earplugs was just to pull down some of the really annoying noise from the games and the like. Heck, those playing at the far opposite end of the place is like night and day with respect of noise... But I guess the rules might be different depending on where we play, or is there some master "World pool rules" around ?

K
 
Being a hearing impaired person I find it a curse and a blessing. I have the advantage of turning the volume down low or off when the noise gets too loud.
I chart from high 40's to 80's and up on a hearing test in my one good bad ear. Should I be disqualified? I understand the ban on iPods as there can be a over flow of noise that might distract the other players. That's creating noise not removing it.
Like pip9ball said, "in my opinion, the Judge was wrong....but my opinion doesn't matter :-)"
 
The APA and BCA leagues have banned the ear devices to prevent the possibillity of coaching (cheating ) through the devices. I guess it is possible to communicate shot selections or patterns through earphones that look like Ipod earbuds.There is quite a few pool players with jobs in the electronics field that could manufacture a device relatively easy to cheat with. it would be like an endless timeout.--Leonard
 
This will come to a head when the tooth phone (I-Tooth) finally comes into being. The sound goes through the bones to the ear so no one else knows what the user is hearing...or not. It could be music, phone, internet, whatever. It'll almost be like having another way to think! This, of course, goes waaay beyond pool, but new rules will need to be made, for sure...Maybe a sensor that detects use of it while playing or something like that.

Jeff Livingston
 
I use earplugs while playin in some of local barbox tourn. that have that 'great' karaokie noise turned up.
 
well,mine was some stock transparent plastic devices which is not much James Bond.Pretty much any one could understand that these are passive plugs :)

I guess for those who want to cheat would find a way which ever rule applied, but I was just wondering if any one knew if these devices are mentioned in the rules....? As mentioned, we can't band players using hearing aids, but those who want to prevent ending up using them can't protect them self.

I measured SPL level when we where breaking with Sledgehammer's and the level was over 124dB which is high!

K
 
Last edited:
Back
Top