BCM CUE REVIEW - Cuemakers Comments Welcome

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
GFWTD said:
Most pool players are looking for a cue that plays well for themselves. Appearance is normally not a big issue, especially if the cue was bought at a bargain. If you bought it on ebay at 40-60 percent off, then what are you whining about.

Excellent point. I am in the process of buying one of Bryans cues right now and I can tell you he is great guy to deal with. I don't think airing this here is a good idea. Why not just contact Bryan, who I'm sure would be happy to take care of it for you. Comparing to a high end Richard Black I don't think is very fair either considering you probably paid around $400 for Bryans cue which is an absolute steal.
Just my opinion.
Koop

Gerald

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't se any reference to a cue maker. Apparently many of you are familiar with the cuemaker and took offense. I thought the post was very informative and relevant. If any cuemaker out there has other comments that shed light on the art of cuemaking I would love to read them. If an artist paints a picture he knows that other painters will comment on the brush work, composition and many other factors. When a cuemaker finishes and sells a cue, his art and accomplishments are offered to the world to see and comment on. I now know of things to be aware of and to look for on my next cue purchase that I was not totally aware of before. Thanks for the post!

G

GFWTD

If you didn't understand my first reply, then you just don't get it. I sold a Gus Szambotti cue about 8 years ago and it wasn't perfect. It was good, though, and I doubt if the guy who bought it is complaining and I bet he probably wouldn't want to sell it to anyone now. (you can call me a dummy)

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
As someone that is competent as a cue grader I will say the points do not bother me. I have seen cues by other well known cuemakers that have gaps as wide as Madonna's front teeth. I mean high dollar cues too, not $1200 four point cues. After reading the thread, and seeing the pics, and what I know of BCM cues is that he is really trying. He isn't some fly-by-nighter looking for the quick buck. The spec in the cocobolo, not a big deal. The only thing that would have bothered me is the jagged ring. Other that that what the cue sold for, is well worth the price.
I think whats really showing here is what cuemakers deal with on an ongoing basis. Customers that want a $ 1,300.00 dollar cue for $ 500 and want the cuemaker to go all out after beating him to death on the price. I know it was an ebay auction, but maybe order the same cue from Bryan and pay the 900 or so list and go from a "B" grade to an "A". Now to be fair to Bryan, take your time and make a cue, send it to me and I will grade it from a dealers standpoint. If you so wish...

Joe

piglit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard Hit

I prefer a hard hit too. Preferably, first thing in the morning. Also great at noon, early or late evening.

Any time is a good time, in fact.

Fullsplice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm baffled here. If you contacted the cuemaker then why post anything here? And you consider yourself a cue collector? No, you're simply a person that owns several cues that you obviously know very little about. A collector is someone who know's how the item is constructed, the history behind it, and it's importance. You're simply hoping to get a deal off of Ebay from a cue maker you know nothing about and in time try and profit off of the cue. Which is fine but don't insult him in the process. There are enough articles, books, videos, and cue makers out there that can educate you on the construction of a cue so ignorance is not an excuse here.

Your problem with the veneer results in your lack of knowledge of it and how it is constructed in cues. First veneer is not balsa wood, it is sycamore or poplar that is dyed. It adds strength to the integrity of the cue and does not break unless the cue is abused. The dark colored seam that you complain about under a highly magnified picture is caused from several reasons. When glued together the color from the veneer can sometimes run and accentuate the seams where they run into each other. Sanding can also accentuate the seams in veneer because dust can collect in them and darken them somewhat. That however can be avoided by compressed air and blowing it out of the pores and imperfections in the wood.

Veneer seams are not new problems to cue makers because Burton Spain wrote fairly extensively about dealing with this problem in his book "Making Blanks". He tried dipping the forearm in colored epoxy mulitiple times to acheive a stacked veneer look. This however was abandoned because he had a problem with bubbles in the epoxy and could not remedy the problem. Other cue makers use colored vinyl L shaped strips to avoid the seam issue. To me that's not acceptable because I want the traditional look of wood veneer but that's my opinion.

The bottom line here is if people want the traditional look of a pointed veneer cue, there are going to be seams and slight "imperfections" due to the nature of the beast. If hand made "imperfections" are not acceptable to you then go to a company that uses CNC exclusively. In that world the only live person that touches the cue is the one that loads and unloads it from machine to machine.

Sugar spots in shafts? I love this one. Some of the best playing shafts I've ever owned or made for people have had 15-20 growth rings, weighed much more than the 4 oz target that most cuemakers shoot for and did not look snow white. Bottom line is they would play circles and circles and circles around your white shaft hangup!

The only thing I agree with you on is the jagged ring issue but that hardly warrents a posting here. Really none of this does and especially if you got a positive response from the cuemaker! So many people forget that custom cues are functional art. Not only an artistic expression of the cuemaker and his ability as a machinist but also a display of wood and what mother nature has created. Complaints against sugar spots and veneer seams are hardly an appreciation of this and merely shows one's ignorance for the subject matter. Why don't you spend 15 hours a day in a shop that's a cross between a metal machine shop and a wood shop, go to lumber mill's and wood suppliers and scavange through hundreds of boards only to let them dry for up to 10 or more years in your shop, sort through them again to choose the best of the best for your customers, only to sell it to an idiot that considers himself a cue collector who takes closeup pictures of it and slanders your name on the internet over issues that he simply does not understand. Cue making, you gotta love it! My best advice to you is to play with a fiberglass cue!!!!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very informative post Fullsplice and I couldn't agree more. I know nothing about what it takes to make a decent cue which why I would never post derogatory comments about someones hard work. As long as it hits great who really cares if it is not perfection which is totally subjective anway.

pbat2751

Fullsplice: geat post its nice when the informed share the knowledge:eek:

DDKoop: I didn't know an other person from the Boston area knew about Brian..... He's a great guy to deal with and I love my cue. Eventually I'll send it to Brian or Webb for a leather wrap. anyone know the turnaround time????

Attachments

• cue 1.jpg
    cue 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 480

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pbat2751 said:
Fullsplice: geat post its nice when the informed share the knowledge:eek:

DDKoop: I didn't know an other person from the Boston area knew about Brian..... He's a great guy to deal with and I love my cue. Eventually I'll send it to Brian or Webb for a leather wrap. anyone know the turnaround time????

Whats going on buddy. That is a nice one. Bryan does great work and I am looking forward to the time that I can my hands on one. Are you north shore, south shore, or downtown?

Regards,
Koop

pbat2751

South shore..... I shoot out of Cue-Time in Pembroke...

Where are you at?

Attachments

• cue2.jpg
    cue2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
so what's the big deal. i think td873 was only trying to be informative. his mistake was naming the cuemaker. as for the mistakes,,,,,it all depends on what one is willing to accept for the money he pays.

my opinion.......... if you're paying over $2500, the cuemaker better know his sh*t when it comes to the craft,,,after all you are paying for the cue as a playing cue AND a piece of art. you're paying all that extra money for the cosmetics. when craig peterson made my first cue, he was willing to start again because an iron deposit popped up in the final stages of the cue. so,,,,the search for integrity and quality come from both client and cuemaker. some cuemakers are not willling to let a blemished cue out of their shop. others couldn't care less(i think this is either laziness or inability to discern good from bad and good from great,,,call it "taste" if you like)). others just don't know.

it's really quite simple. not everyone is a rembrandt.

again,,,td873 shoulda not named the cuemaker. but so what. hopefully, mordt can read this post and simply realize that some people look closer than others. maybe mordt didn't see it and now says "aha",,,,maybe he DID see it and now says" uh-oh"....whatever. if he doesn't get this kind of feedback, he'll never know.

deadstroke32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see what the problem is >He trying to get the best for his buck .And not happy at all .I'll tell you. When i was buy cues i made sure i got to see them up close and look for all the things some cue makers can hind( "or try"). If you do know a custom cue maker and real good friends you can learn a LOT of little thing. That a lot of people don't know...
O p.s buying form ebay is a bad move...
If you never hear of the cue maker........NAd if he has not been makein cue for at the most 10yrs or better....

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pbat2751 said:
South shore..... I shoot out of Cue-Time in Pembroke...

Where are you at?

Hey,

Sorry it took so long but I am south of Boston as well. Usually in Quincy or Weymouth. Haven't been to Cue-Time but I've heard there are some really players out of there. Take care.

Koop

pbat2751

Koop,

so that means your either out of Mickey's (GC's with dead rails, but nice place) or Renaissance in Quincy (really nice GC's and a couple of Diamonds, $ though). We'll have to get together and shoot some. I'll be sending my cue to Brian for a leather wrap soon so I'll let you know how it comes out.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do shoot out of Renaissance sometimes and also a little place in Weymouth called Twelve Bens. Mickeys is in Holbrook and you are right about the dead rails. Tight-ass pockets too. Keep me informed on the cue and let me know when you would be available to shoot. Maybe one night the wife will give me the green light to head down to Cue-Time to play. Been by it a hundred times, just never stopped in.

Koop