Bees wax

KREE8TIV

Recently purchased new cue , but it is a little light , I want to add about another ounce . I removed the weight bolt . It's 1/2" coarse threads and 1" long , I figured I could make my own weight bolt . Took original weight to hardware store and found a match with a zinc bolt 6" long that I will cut down to size and preferred weight . Is it okay to add some bees wax to the threads when I screw the new bolt back in so it goes in easier ? I know I could buy a heavier weight but I wanted to give this a try .
Thank You

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is a possibiltiy that the bees wax will soak into the wood over time and that weight bolt might begin to rattle. But you say it's tight now, so this may not be a problem..
If it's too tight, and you crank it on in using the bees wax, you could crack that butt.
I would bore out the hole in the butt a few thousandths or skim a few off the bolt threads to get a proper fit. I like to use bathtub/clear silicon sealant to hold the weight bolt in, yet it's still removable down the road.
YMMY
Gary

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A small dab of silicone will make sure the bolt doesn't move and if you want to remove it, a quick half turn twist will break the bond.

Last edited:

KREE8TIV

I like the silicone idea , I could then actually just cut the bolt end off , slot it and screw it in further up towards the shaft , and if I like the balance a little silicone to hold in place . Thanks for the replies !

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
I like the silicone idea , I could then actually just cut the bolt end off , slot it and screw it in further up towards the shaft , and if I like the balance a little silicone to hold in place . Thanks for the replies !

I hate the idea of silicone anywhere near a cue. I’ve had to refinish some cabinet drawer fronts that had silicone on them. It took me 3 times to get it right.

Hard Knock Cues

I hate the idea of silicone anywhere near a cue. I’ve had to refinish some cabinet drawer fronts that had silicone on them. It took me 3 times to get it right.
Yes silicone and finish don't mix, so you need to be careful to add just a little dab inside the cue and not get any outside. Then as you turn the weight bolt in, it pushes the silicone in while coating the threads. . You don't need much. Dry fit first to be sure you know how deep you want it.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's true, but if you have a small tube of silicone and apply some to the weightbolt, I seriously doubt you'll have any issues.
I spray clear all the time and I've never had an issue due to silicone.