Bender Cues

highsea

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone here ever play with one of Mike Bender's cues?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was taught by DPK.

-CM

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i have a titleist butt bender that plays too whippy for me. it does not have the sharper hit of an omega dpk. i cannot say for sure that my bender is representative of his cues. i will say that titleist butt cues play differently than a cuemaker's standard cue.

dpk set up the omega shop where bender made cues.

Last edited:
B

Beavis

highsea said:
Anyone here ever play with one of Mike Bender's cues?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was taught by DPK.

-CM

I build my own cues. And I own a bender, and love it. I have owned or shot with about 90% of the cues out there. I would recommend him to anyone.

He wasnt taught by David. Mr and Mrs Bender were both building cues long before David came to Omega. Mike and David did exhange ideas, but Mike builds his cues his way. They both build excellent cues, but I wouldnt part with my Bender for anything short of a small fortune. I sold my DPK years ago and have no regrets.

Rick

Registered
This message is for Beavis, you said you have shot with about 90% of the cuemakers out there. could you give me your opinion of Keith Josey cues

B

Beavis

Rick said:
This message is for Beavis, you said you have shot with about 90% of the cuemakers out there. could you give me your opinion of Keith Josey cues

Sure thing. His cues hit very pure or solid I guess is the word. You can really hear the cue hit the ball, and its a nice feel. But as with any cue that pure, cue ball action was a little more work than I like, if that makes sense ? Im sure Mr Josey could change the taper a little if you wanted a less stiff hit.

Some people dont care for his cues because you dont get what you pay for them. The reason they dont bring good re-sale is because Mr Josey is so on the ball, and can build you a new cue quicky and reasonably. AS with some other cue makers you have to wait years, which adds "value" to their cues in circulation.

I have seen his house cues, Shawn's, and some of his exclusive work, and he builds a good looking cue. I have never heard or personally seen one his cues fall apart, or rattle, or anything. I think he knows what he is doing.

If you like a stiff cue, and your buying it to keep, then youll have no problems.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
beavis,,,how did it come about that bender was turning cues for omega dpk?

Benny

~BeN~
Silver Member
How about Mottey and Skip Weston ? I am keen in getting a piece from either of them... Any comments ?

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Bender's cues are very solid hitting cues. A friend of mine x-rayed one and wondered why they hit so well.
Mike's butt construction is much different than a Southwest. Not even close. Out of respect to Mr Bender, I'd rather not describe his cue construction.

B

Beavis

bruin70 said:
beavis,,,how did it come about that bender was turning cues for omega dpk?

Mr bender had the talent, and his partner had the money. It was then just Omega cues. They added the DPK when David starting working there.

B

Beavis

Benny said:
How about Mottey and Skip Weston ? I am keen in getting a piece from either of them... Any comments ?

I hit with an earlier Mottey, and it was a decent hitting cue. Nothing bad, but nothing great. I remember it was a solid cue, didnt feel "cheap". The butt was kinda thick, a little larger than a schon. But the cue was beautiful. He does build a very attractive cue. I also wouldnt think you would lose money with his work, they usually bring top dollar.

I have played with a weston also, and it hit kinda "blan". Nothing great, but nothing bad. Just a good all around comfortable cue to shoot with. Im not a big fan of his designs. Sometimes the woods and veneers just arent easy on the eyes, and they may be why I didnt enjoy it as much ?!?

Thats just my opinion, Im sure many people will disagree with me.

B

Beavis

Joseph Cues said:
Bender's cues are very solid hitting cues. A friend of mine x-rayed one and wondered why they hit so well.
Mike's butt construction is much different than a Southwest. Not even close. Out of respect to Mr Bender, I'd rather not describe his cue construction.

Yep, Mr Bender builds cues right.

B

Beavis

Benny said:
Hmm, then what cues will you go for in terms of playability ?

Well its just my opinion, so you might not like what I like. I didnt totally dislike the mottey, it was, and most are good looking cues. But for the money, which they cost a good amount, I want something that plays better (for me).

I cant say I liked the weston. The hit wasnt good enough to make me forget about the looks of his design. The 4 or 5 I have seen in person had thick veneers, weird wood combinations, inays werent tight. Just things I kinda look at real hard.

Playability...

There is always the tried and true southwest.

Bender builds an awesome cue, I personally am building my cues to his philosphy.

Dennis Searing's cues are perfection as far as a good playing cue.

Schon. Not a custom cue, but if you can get an early model, one of Rundes, that is a good cue. Or just a Runde, it will play good more than likely.

Tad, Tascarella, an older Joss, those are all great cues. Only hit with one Tascarella, but man it was SWEET.

Just my opinions, Im sure some will disagree.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Beavis said:
Mr bender had the talent, and his partner had the money. It was then just Omega cues. They added the DPK when David starting working there.

did the construction of the omega cue change when they added kershenbrock?

B

Beavis

bruin70 said:
did the construction of the omega cue change when they added kershenbrock?

Yes I think things did change a little. Mr Benders partner, which I cant recall his name at the moment, thought David was a god.