Billiard Tables

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
Deno,

What table(s) do you prefer? I am very knowledgable about pool tables but are there certain characteristis to a carom table? For instance, I like Olhausen pool tables because of their rail cushions and Diamond tables because the pockets are tight. What are some of the things you look for in a quality billiard table?

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are several good tables on the market, none of which unfortunately are made in the U.S. What you want to look for is a very thick slate (at least 50mm), Kleber rubber cushions (the international standard these days), which are four sided rather than the traditional three sided pool or old carom rubber (the fourth side allows the cushion to seat on a lip in the liner which guarantees perfect rail height and consistency), a very strong frame of either massive amounts of wood or steel construction, and a simple design for routine maintenance like recovering.

With that said, I like the following tables:

Elitte Professional- Great table made in Mexico and designed by my friend Roberto Rojas (World Champ in Artistic Billiards, National and Pan-American 3-cushion champion, etc.). They feature steel construction, thick slates, Kleber rubber, and most importantly they play really well and consistent. I have played two international championships on these tables and love them. This is the type of table you can slam the ball into the rail and you hear nothing at all. The space-age design is not for everyone (I love it), but as far as playability it is perfect.

Soren-Sogaard- Made in Denmark. Great table with a super design of steel frame construction and a leveling system that allows minute adjustments without having to take off the cloth. There is a drawback to that system in that if you don't absolutely know what the heck you are doing, you can really screw up the level and potentially hurt the slates. These tables play very well and consistent. Several years ago they started to deliver the tables with Kleber rubber. Before that time the main complaint was that they played too "sharp." I think they play great.

Gabriels- Great tables.

Verhoeven- probably the most well liked table among players as far as playability. From an owner's perspective (I have one), there are a few problems. One is that the bolts go into the slates and if your mechanic torques it a little too much the slates can crack. If the table is going to be in the same place forever, it won't be a problem. However, if the slate cracks, good luck moving it safely. The other problem is that the heating element is an archaic design that has baffled most electricians I have seen look at it.

SAM- great table.

Chevillotte- Great table- too expensive.

That covers the basics. You can expect to pay between $6000-$12,000 for a new table delivered and installed in your home or billiard room. I think the best value is the Elitte (around $6500 delivered in U.S.) or the Sogaard (I think around $8000-$8500 delivered). Obviously if you are buying more than one the price changes because of the shipping benefits of a carton.

Deno Andrews

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
i've always felt a.e.shmidt was one the most ingenious designs of our time,due to ease of play,user friendly pockets. just a total confidence building package for my game!! they make me feel unbeatable,ready to play ANYONE.

MexPoolPlyr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Deno

So you have one of those tables designed by Rojas huh? I've heard great things about them but never seen them in person although they look pretty cool. The next time your in LA, let me know, I have a 3/1/2 inch pocketed gold crown and an antique Brunswick Saratoga billiard table in my game room with a heater to be shortly installed as soon as my dad has some time. I need some weight though in 3 cushion, like 30 to 50, maybe more :) Take care Deno and great job at running the qualifier at Hard Times. Talk to you later, Oscar Dominguez