Carbon shaft build?

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never knew that, how enlightening, Thanks for sharing, looks like I will retool my lathes to turn things square today lol

I have made some carbon fiber butts and shafts that are perfectly straight, round and a solid material on the inside, no foam, just great weight distribution. Not only that but since they are Black, I am putting some Black Tomahawk ferrules on. I need some in the light color for another customer, Thanks for bringing the material to market.
You are quite welcome my friend. 👍

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Having done a fair amount of CF shafts now, I can tell you that working with CF is different in many ways. You need to have the right tools, the right foams, the right glue etc.
I have found that using a collet chuck is preferable when doing joint work. I use phenolic at the joint end and I have use Tomahawk, Juma, G10, phenolic and canvas phenolic as ferrule material. First order of business is inspecting the CF tubes them selves. If they aren't straight and round, toss them out. Even with the heaviest foam you will struggle to get over 100g without some sort of weight added to get closer to 115g/4oz. Cutting CF is not good for your lungs or electrical equipment, so use a shop vac or dust extraction when trimming the tubes to length. Don't use regular HSS or carbide cutting tools, use a slitting saw.
Kim, just a helpful tip, from my golf club building days. If you wrap the area on the CF shaft that you're going to cut, with a bit of masking tape, it helps with the dust, and shaft fraying. Not sure if that tip will be practical in this application, but you never know.
Best regards.
Joe P

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kim, just a helpful tip, from my golf club building days. If you wrap the area on the CF shaft that you're going to cut, with a bit of masking tape, it helps with the dust, and shaft fraying. Not sure if that tip will be practical in this application, but you never know.
Best regards.
Joe P
Yup! just what I do Joe :) Really helps limiting fraying-

PracticeChampion

After many tries I finally got the angle just right for the joint, got it cut and then my amateur level lathe skills turned the handle in instead of out on last cut and dug out a big groove 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬, that won't happen again, I hope!

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_090821715.jpg
    IMG_20211221_090821715.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20211221_090802782.jpg
    IMG_20211221_090802782.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 136

tomatoetom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What glue are some of you using for the joint work? My initial thought was a 2 part epoxy but really just guessing
What glue are some of you using for the joint work? My initial thought was a 2 part epoxy but really just guessing
I use system three T-88 for carbon shafts