Coin-op pool table ?

Thepip

David
Silver Member
I am considering buying either a Valley or a Great American Coin-op pool table. What I am looking for is information on what to look for in a coin-op table and if there is really a difference in the 2 tables. I am not looking for an older table but something from the last few years and both of there website has good selling information about there tables but I want to hear from people who play on them. I am a beginner APA layer and want to have something that will fit into my garage so 7ft is as small and as big that I would like to go.

Some questions I have specifically is.

1. Are they all 1 piece slate tables.
2. is there a way to check the slate before buying
3. what would be the maintenance cost of the table.
4. Can you use any type of balls on the table like (aramith pool balls)
5. can you put simonis pool table cloth on it.
6. can the rails be refinished with K66 rubber.

blackda

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have an older Valley model 32 from the mid 80's. From my research I think all Valley tables are 1 piece, 1" thick slates. I am not sure about Great American. The most important thing is to inspect the frame and slate. The only way to check the slate for damage would be to remove the felt, which means recovering later. They are built to take abuse, they have a heavy frame system. Mine has some damage to the laminate along the bottom, where it was picked up by a forklift at the local gameroom distributor. I removed the trap door, so the ball return is automatic. There are no pool rooms where I live so only bars, thus the reason I got one and it works great.

I am looking at upgrading my rails to Ridgeback rails and Simois cloth.

Good luck

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Global bar box that plays extremely well. I had it recovered with Simonis 860HR and a new set of rails from Ridgeback Rails (highly recommended - just do a search on this Forum for many positive reviews). To answer some of your questions:
1. As far as I know all 7 foot bar box tables are 1 piece slate.
2. Checking the slate may be difficult. You can remove the rails and check the bottom side of the slate for cracks or breaks. Another problem with the slate may be sagging. You may be able to roll some balls very slowly and check their path. Hopefully, some table mechanic will respond to your thread and give some insight into checking the slate.
3. Cost would depend on type cloth you want installed, what type of rail you buy, and table mechanic cost for install and recover. I don't believe prices should be discussed on the Forum but you can PM me and I'll give you the prices I paid in re-doing my table.
4. Yes, you can use any 2 1/4" balls. Aramith Tournament would be the best. You'll need a special cue ball depending on your table. Mine is magnetic and thus allows the cue ball to be returned to one end of the table.
5. & 6. Simonis and Ridgeback rails would be the ultimate.
Good luck in buying a bar box. I really like mine and enjoy playing on it.

Last edited: