Dark green and light green Triangle chalk

jpsauve

Registered
Hi,
People here in Brazil just love the green Triangle chalk.
I recently bought some on behalf of several of my friends and the chalk I received was very light, much lighter than the Triangle chalk normally used here. People hated it.
At least on a hard Le Professionel tip, the light chalk doesnt work well. Maybe on a softer tip ...

Is there more than one type of green Triangle chalk?
I have just found a couple of sites that talk about this but one says the dark chalk is the older chalk no longer made by Tweeten and the other site says just the opposite.

What do you use in Europe?
Is there only one kind now?
Which?

Can anyone shed light on this?
Thanks
Jacques

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've the light Triangle chalk. But there is also dark green (almost blue) Triangle chalk here in Europe. I have the light one a few years ago. Don't know if they are selling it right now. But I'm positive that the dark one is still for sale. Triangle chalk are snookerchalk. I've used it, and I think that this chalk has lesser grip and give lesser spin on the balls.

boozebag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The darker chalk is the new chalk, they stopped selling the lighter (better chalk in my opinion) because it contained lead apparently. I would get as much of the light stuff as you can. I still have a load of it ;)

Greg

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
boozebag said:
The darker chalk is the new chalk, they stopped selling the lighter (better chalk in my opinion) because it contained lead apparently. I would get as much of the light stuff as you can. I still have a load of it ;)

Greg

I've got like 10 pieces of the light one, but don't use it anymore.

jpsauve

Registered
boozebag said:

Greg
Now, there is something really strange going on.
Some say the dark chalk is the old (discontinued) one while others say the light chalk is discontinued.
When I phoned fcsnooker in the UK (a highly reputed store(), they told me they only sell the newer, lighter chalk.

The mystery deepens ...
Can anyone clarify this with any degree of certainty?

jpsauve

Registered
I have an answer, received from the President of Tweeten, the manufacturer:

Hello Jacques:

We manufacture two shades of green in both Triangle and Master brand chalk. Green, which is the lighter shade, and spruce, which is a darker green.

The darker shade was developed for the demand of darker cloth.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Tweeten Fibre Co., Inc.

Skip Nemecek,
President

boozebag

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been using green triangle chalk for nearly 25 years for snooker and english 8ball pool. It was always light green until a few years ago when the darker stuff started appearing, i was told that it was because they banned lead in chalk manufacture. That is different from making different colours for different cloths. Triangle only comes in three colours Red,Green and Blue as it is designed for snooker , (master is made for American Pool).
In the Uk at least the darker chalk is the newer one and i have bought plenty to prove it. Master chalk comes in two shades of green, maybe that is what the president of Tweeten thought you were meaning.

Greg