Empire State Championships

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Enjoyed watching the stream. Mixed in with Earl and Mike lol.
Tony Robles should be commended!!
Great event and tour.
And.....the Amateur final featured two C+ players!
With the winner taking home $2,600!!!!
How strong is that?
He is doing it right.
 
Enjoyed watching the stream. Mixed in with Earl and Mike lol.
Tony Robles should be commended!!
Great event and tour.
And.....the Amateur final featured two C+ players!
With the winner taking home $2,600!!!!
How strong is that?
He is doing it right.

I am guessing the C+ players were more like B+ LOL, I have seen some of the players people say are C players in that event.
 
I am guessing the C+ players were more like B+ LOL, I have seen some of the players people say are C players in that event.

I watched the final.
They did make some mistakes.
Hard for me to judge their speed.
I "think" I could play with them. Lol
.....
The Open / Pro division is questionable. In a different way.
Greg...(J. Barretta's) husband listed as a pro? I don't think so.
 
I watched the final.
They did make some mistakes.
Hard for me to judge their speed.
I "think" I could play with them. Lol
.....
The Open / Pro division is questionable. In a different way.
Greg...(J. Barretta's) husband listed as a pro? I don't think so.

I think Greg has like a low 600s Fargo rating which would make him an A player, not Open or Pro.

I did not see this match for the amateurs, but every time I see a "C" player in the finals or a high pressure big event, I have yet to see it actually be a "C" player. They just miss and make too many mistakes to go all the way. Sure they can win some matches due to other players messing up late in the game so they just clean up a few easy shots, but to win through a good field, never seen it done by a real C player.
 
Who was in the finals? I'm curious now if they actually were ranked properly or not hehe. The hotseat was posted, I see Shawn Jackson at 616 Fargo which is an A- or A, and Jason Carandang who is not in Fargo at all.

2nd Place was Steve Romann, at 516 he is closer to a solid B level maybe a B-. On his really bad days he wold be a C+.

I looked at the other C+ players they have listed, there is an Amy Yu at 537, again a solid B rating. Maybe they just list their B players as C+ players.

Just picking out random names a C player called Matthias Gutzmann is a 502, that is a, B- range, so looks like the tour is a step down in their ratings as far as skill goes.

But there is a Rick Miller at 621 who is in the A range which IS correct. So maybe they under-rank their B players only. I know I would not want to play a B player as an A if they were going to a C player handicap. A B player is a lot more consistent and knowledgeable than a C.
 
Last edited:
Enjoyed watching the stream. Mixed in with Earl and Mike lol.
Tony Robles should be commended!!
Great event and tour.
And.....the Amateur final featured two C+ players!
With the winner taking home $2,600!!!!
How strong is that?
He is doing it right.

Are there brackets somewhere?
 
Back
Top