Gold Crown Adventure

joninnorfolk

Account was hacked - Pending verification
Silver Member
20230724_163641.jpg
a wd40 soak and scrub, on repeat, got the gunk off. I scraped some varnished soda or something off two of the dials with my pocket knife. I then painted the numerals with a tiny brush and model paint. I will touch up some paint again and clean them up. Second set just started their soak.

joninnorfolk

Account was hacked - Pending verification
Silver Member
An artist, I am not. The dial on the left, ( the one that look like it was painted by toddler), is the last to be done. It takes a lot of rubbing with a microfiber towel and scraping with the back of a knife blade, but the paint that's on top of the dial will come off.

Attachments

• 20230725_122100.jpg
    20230725_122100.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 37

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An artist, I am not. The dial on the left, ( the one that look like it was painted by toddler), is the last to be done. It takes a lot of rubbing with a microfiber towel and scraping with the back of a knife blade, but the paint that's on top of the dial will come off.

What you need is access to a lathe. Chuck up the counter wheel and have at it with 800+ grit on the numbers.
{Although with a suitable arbor, you could do it on a drill}

tomatoshooter

A lot of my projects, you can see the learning curve go up and then the frustration curve bring it back down. It's fun watching your table come together!

sellingboe

Nice! Looks like an early GCI as evidenced by the figure 8 nut plates and long extrusions to attach the aprons to the rails. It looks like that table was only recovered 2=3 times in its life. How do the rail tops look? Metal name plate or plastic?
I just saw this and did not know fig 8 nut plate indicated an earlier version of the table. Can you give me that time frame and what they changed to afterwards? I gave up trying to figure out my table year awhile ago, but if it's possible I'd like to hone in a little better. Because the feet adjust I know it's at least after 1963. Thanks.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw this and did not know fig 8 nut plate indicated an earlier version of the table. Can you give me that time frame and what they changed to afterwards? I gave up trying to figure out my table year awhile ago, but if it's possible I'd like to hone in a little better. Because the feet adjust I know it's at least after 1963. Thanks.
The timeline is uncertain. I'd estimate Brunswick went to the floating nut plate design around the late 60's. They still use the floating nut plate design today.