Gold Crown III Table Mechanic (Jacksonville, Florida or nearby)

perdigao

Registered
Looking for an experienced professional table mechanic that has experience with Gold Crown III to help me fix my table.

Main problem:
There is a considerable indentation between the slates impacting the ball trajectory. Also, something in two pockets impacts the ball trajectory at very slow speeds (the slate is not smooth in those areas).

If I find a mechanic who is experienced with this type of restoration:
Would love to fix some scratches on the glossy Piano black finish.

I've asked around and could not find anyone local in Jacksonville 😭 Someone mentioned Bill Pelham as an excellent local table mechanic. Still, I couldn't t get a hold of him (I tried Facebook and LinkedIn).

At this point, I am considering anyone nearby or willing to travel to Jacksonville. Looking for someone with considerable experience with Gold Crown III.

Attachments

• Gold Crown III.jpg
    Gold Crown III.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 60

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I find a mechanic who is experienced with this type of restoration:
Would love to fix some scratches on the glossy Piano black finish.
Your best bet is a cabinet shop or a company that does cosmetic piano restorations. Spot fixing the scratches will stick out like a sore thumb. The best route is a total repaint.

DeeDeeCues

Your best bet is a cabinet shop or a company that does cosmetic piano restorations. Spot fixing the scratches will stick out like a sore thumb. The best route is a total repaint.

Having just gone through this on a GCI, a 'repaint' is not for the faint of heart. The rails should be vertical grade laminate (Formica). Painting that is pretty easy, just scuff, fill, prime, smooth, prime again, paint, clear coat.

The big problem is the dots. Basically break them out before you start, replace before you clear. They take a lot of time.

That said, the laminate should have a thick clear layer that you probably haven't gone through. With the right products you should be able to smooth and buff to the same shine. A good casework installer should be able to do it. This is something you probably don't want to watch, your rails will look much worse for the entire process, but should be able to be buffed to a great finish.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having just gone through this on a GCI, a 'repaint' is not for the faint of heart. The rails should be vertical grade laminate (Formica). Painting that is pretty easy, just scuff, fill, prime, smooth, prime again, paint, clear coat.

The big problem is the dots. Basically break them out before you start, replace before you clear. They take a lot of time.

That said, the laminate should have a thick clear layer that you probably haven't gone through. With the right products you should be able to smooth and buff to the same shine. A good casework installer should be able to do it. This is something you probably don't want to watch, your rails will look much worse for the entire process, but should be able to be buffed to a great finish.
I could be wrong, but I believe the OP was referring to the aprons and possibly the pedestal. Although some have done it, I wouldn't recommend painting the laminate.

DeeDeeCues

I could be wrong, but I believe the OP was referring to the aprons and possibly the pedestal. Although some have done it, I wouldn't recommend painting the laminate.

Good possibility that I didn't consider. The aprons and pedestal are easy.

The paint on my rails is beautiful and holding up very well. I've had some hard hits from the cueball on my rails with no effect.