How many have hardened leather or the phenolic tip for jump cue?

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Yes, and usually those places didn't allow masse shots or jump shots either. I recall a few places in NY that did that for awhile too. It was all about the house preserving it's equipment and not about the players. Usually the break cue balls were cheap balls that were not of the same weight and composition of the object balls, and that little patch was like a launching pad. Any kind of decent player hated playing in a place that required those things.
Well, this was an old school poolroom in the 70's, and there were some very talented players who shot there on a daily basis. Lots of big money games went down there. And I don't recall them having any problem with masse shots or jump shots.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, this was an old school poolroom in the 70's, and there were some very talented players who shot there on a daily basis. Lots of big money games went down there. And I don't recall them having any problem with masse shots or jump shots.
Big money games using a launching pad for break shots? That would be the first time I heard of anything like that.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Big money games using a launching pad for break shots? That would be the first time I heard of anything like that.
I have no idea if they used the felt for those money games. I was too young to be allowed in to watch them play all night. But they used the felt during the day. And this wasn't some upscale bar that had pool tables, it was a poolroom. Bobby Legg played there every day. Why don't you ask players on here if they think he was a big money player.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no idea if they used the felt for those money games. I was too young to be allowed in to watch them play all night. But they used the felt during the day. And this wasn't some upscale bar that had pool tables, it was a poolroom. Bobby Legg played there every day. Why don't you ask players on here if they think he was a big money player.
Well, I would probably bet that Bobby Legg didn't use a launching pad when he gambled.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I personally use the Gator Tip which is made by Andy Gilbert. Since he released it. In my opinion the very best i ve ever seen and played. Enough energy transfer and a supberb grip. Even on a jump cue a good choice- as long you don t want to make 2cm jumps shots :)