As I understand it he had a health problem (throat related, or something?) that was pretty serious, but has been on the mend lately and was even contemplating playing again. I sure hope so, that would be awesome. Do a search here, there was a big thread on it a few months back.
Seems like a lot of players from the 80s/90s that stopped have started coming back, playing as strong as ever...kind of showing us all that the pool players haven't collectively gotten that much better than their predecessors, who can still bring it! Go on Youtube and check out Ray Martin at the World 14.1 championships, or the IPT 8 ball championships against Cory Deuel...still a world class player. Now, if we could just get some more back in, like George Breedlove, Reid Pierce, Keith McCready, etc. I still secretly pull for Tommy Kennedy and CJ Wiley everytime I see them in a tournament.