Is the 1 Million Bewitched?

Busy Kitty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, I've been watching this million dollar thing and it looks like their time is up. Has the count down for the big bucks begun or has the whammy come and stole all their money? If this tourney does not happen or even exist, for the people who have intrusted their funds to the promoters, do they get their money back? Is diamond tables guaranteeing reimbursement. Or is their another wishy washy press release like the last one?

B

bigbopper502000

name me any other sport that make anyone put up anything even close to that much money to play, the entire concept is doomed to fail from the beginning.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
everyones bitchin about how pool isn't popular and shit...now something big like this happens and no ones doing anything about it but bitch some more

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't put the nails in the coffin yet.

Advertising in advance of the event to a more diversified audience would have helped. Since the tournament is using 7-foot tables, it could have been promoted stronger in the bar venues, which are growing in popularity with the various pool leagues. More qualifiers should have been held.

When I first heard about The Million-Dollar Tournament, I had thought it was an urban legend. A few months ago, somebody started a thread inquiring about it. I'm not sure what RAM could have come up with other than what they did. Maybe pool, because of the current economical climate, wasn't ready for it.

The concept is a great one, and I'm hoping that they get the 200 players, but the clock is ticking.

ManlyShot

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Cardinal_Syn said:
everyones bitchin about how pool isn't popular and shit...now something big like this happens and no ones doing anything about it but bitch some more

you're not expecting the public to do something about it, are you? we(the public) are in the business of spectatin'....and there are damn few of us,,,,,that's a problem the pool business "minds" have to rectify.

BHAMKID

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tournament

Poker players are the only poeple that have to put up money like this... for a poker PRO tournament sometimes you do have to put up 10 dimes to enter. but its going to be hard to get 200 players to put up the 10 dimes to enter. like i said before they should have and still should hold several "qualifiers" for the tournament. or satelites if you will. make it a 100 or 200 entry and limit it to a certain amount of poeple and make have it pay the top 3 poeple's entry to the tournament. or something like that. maybe make it a 500 entry or something. but i dont think that pool players are going to come off 10 dimes to play in a tournament. but thats just my oppinion

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re: tournament

BHAMKID said:
like i said before they should have and still should hold several "qualifiers" for the tournament. or satelites if you will. make it a 100 or 200 entry and limit it to a certain amount of poeple and make have it pay the top 3 poeple's entry to the tournament. or something like that. maybe make it a 500 entry or something.

The Kid is right.

More advanced promotion, awareness in advance, a $10,000 entry fee for 200 players, or more, could have been possible.

However, most pool players I know are procrastinators when it comes to giving up the cash for any entry fee.

Only $1,000 needs to be posted by close of business today to hold a spot, and the clock is still ticking.

ManlyShot

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of the time of the press release from RAM, they confirmed 50 players have signed up.

There is a qualifier going to be held November 7 through 9 in Houma, Louisiana, $100 entry fee. First place gets the $10,000 entry fee paid into The Million Dollar Tournament.

If the tournament turns out to be a trick instead of a treat, the lucky first-place winner gets to keep their $10,000.

Call Jason (985) 804-2836. Good chance to get in The Million Dollar Tournament for 100 bucks.

ManlyShot

I

imcastleman

here's an idea...

Of course it is too late, but most of us would admit that we wouldn't really have any chance at all of even winning one match, much less two. But, who would love to play in it. I would, if it was cheap. How about have a 512 person tournament with an entry fee of $100 and the top 4 players get to go. 5th and 6th each get $5,600. Here is the kicker: anyone can win this tournament because it is single elimination and just a race to 1. I am in!!! Tell me where to go.

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bubbles24 said:
manlyshot,

do you know if there are any top pros entered?

Bubbles24, I don't think a lot of folks know about it. I do know the TD is definitely going forward with the tournament.

Check out what tournaments are running consecutively to this qualifier:

Cornfed Reds Billiards Café
Columbus, Ohio
614-834-1000
November 6 - 7, 2003
$2000 added one pocket

Independent Event
Corpus Christi Classic Open 9-Ball
Paradise Pool & Billiards
Corpus Christi, TX
361-774-7401
November 7 - 9, 2003
$6000 guaranteed added
LADIES DIVISION - $500-$1000 Added

IBC
Tokyo 9-Ball WPA World Tour Championship
Tokyo, Japan
November 7-9, 2003

Joss North East Tour
Adirondack Billiards
Glen Falls, NY
518-798-5406
November 8 - 9, 2003
$2,000 added
$100 entry fee

Billiard Odyssey
Beach Billiards
Miami, FL
305-940-0770
November 8 - 9, 2003

Falcon Cue Tour
Bill & Billies
Arnold, MD
410-544-8185
November 8 - 9, 2003
$2500 added
Open and Women's event

Viking Cue 9-Ball Tour
Viking Ohio Regional Championship
Cornfed Red's Billiard Cafe
Columbus, Ohio
614-834-1000
November 8 - 9, 2003
$5000 added

Western Women's Regional Tour
Family Billiards
San Francisco, CA
November 8 - 9, 2003

NEWT
Hagerstown Billiards
Hagerstown, MD
301-791-1355
November 8 - 9, 2003
$500 added WPBA Qualifier

Lucasi Cues Carolina Amateur Tour Carolina Division
Cue 'n Spirits
Winston-Salem, NC
336-759-0680
November 8 - 9, 2003

SE Open
Doodles Billiards & Grill
Hinesville,GA
912-369-2211
November 8 - 9, 2003

Pechauer West Coast Tour
The Cue Ball
Salem, OR
503-362-9740
November 8 - 9, 2003
$1500 added

Hunter Classics Tour
Ten Year Anniversary Party
Big Daddy's
Alvin, TX
281-585-0004
November 8 - 9, 2003
WPBA Qualifier

Independent Event
Open 9-Ball Tournament
Park Avenue Billiards
Orange Park, FL
904-215-1557
November 9, 2003
$1500 first place

Florida 9-Ball Tour
Capone's Billiards
Springhill, FL
352-688-9965
November 9, 2003

I hope the Houma, Louisiana, Million-Dollar Qualifier can get 100 people to sign up for $100 because as you can see there are MANY tournaments going on at the same time.

The older pros will be at the Seminoles-sponsored Steve Mizerak Seniors Tournament, and the IBC is having a major pro event in Tokyo. Then you have tour events going on the same weekend, Joss, FalconCue Tour, Viking, and many other independent events.

This could really be a good opportunity for somebody to win $10,000 entry fee or, in the worst-case scenario, get to keep the $10,000 as first-place winnings. Doesn't sound like a bad deal at all!

ManlyShot

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Cardinal_Syn said:

Any suggestion as to what people should do instead? It isn't like most pool players have a spare $10,000 lying around to shoot at a tournament. I'm not sure what sort of support you're suggesting that the pool community give here. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. How about make it a $1000 entry fee and guarantee $100,000 for 1st? You *might* have a chance of getting enough players with that entry fee, but even still, that is a steep entry fee.

Cardinal_Syn

Julz
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
Any suggestion as to what people should do instead? It isn't like most pool players have a spare $10,000 lying around to shoot at a tournament. I'm not sure what sort of support you're suggesting that the pool community give here. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. How about make it a $1000 entry fee and guarantee $100,000 for 1st? You *might* have a chance of getting enough players with that entry fee, but even still, that is a steep entry fee.
i'm just sayin i keep seeing alot of people saying like oh this tournament isn't gonna go through oh this tournament is probably bullshit, with hopes like that for sure nothing is gonna happen.....but then again really i don't blame people though, $10,000 is kinda steep, it's not poker where any one, a nobody can win....increasing the field size is a great idea, that should bring down the fee abit...frankly if this doesn't happen i blame it on the organisors....i don't think they did enough to promote this in the first place.....they should be getting sponsors alot of em to promote this, heck promote it in vegas or something maybe some dumb nut would enter. A tournament this big a milllion bucks for first place should have been advertised, and i don't think they thought this through well enough, i mean how come everyones is just talking about it now when it's about to start, should have been the talk of the town perhaps a year ago, if they've promoted this long time ago perhaps it would have better than it is right now. To make something this big they should have gotten big sponsors alot of em and some freakin advertisement. Heck if i owned a pool realted bussiness i would have pitched in to sponsor this because this could be the next big thing in pool.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like Jimmy M's idea better. 10 grand is alot of money, even if you have a chance to win a million. I think the reason is that losing can really set a player back. Tournaments that cost more like 500-1000 dollars are more reasonable, it's not like that could put you out on the streets or ruin your daughter's dream for college.