Is this a Warp?

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend brought out his Joss and several of us were looking at it and rolling it.

When the cue is rolled, the ferrule stays flat on the table but if you look under the shaft as it's being rolled, you can see the space, where the taper is, expand and decrease. Not a lot, but noticeable.

You don't notice anything looking at the cue, as it's being rolled, from above the cue.

It does this on and off the cue.

Is this a warp, but not a bad one......or is this is something with how the taper was made?

pixie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
roll the cue with the shaft halfway along the rail. if it doesnt wobble, its definitely okay. maybe its the tapering in the center that tapers in thinner than regular shafts.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Jeff, it may also be that the shaft was manually sanded and wood was removed from the middle of the shaft. Sean

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most shafts have atleast alittle bit in that area, It really shows up when mounted in the lathe, and spinning at a high rpm.

If You suspect It's flat sanded on one side by some chance, then just spin it, and hold the suspected area between your finger & thumb, and should be able to feel If it's round or not. Greg

Jack Flanagan

P. T. Barnum was right !
Silver Member
cueaddicts said:
Jeff, it may also be that the shaft was manually sanded and wood was removed from the middle of the shaft. Sean

I agree with hand-sanding,,,,I get a lot of that problem with cues people bring in for repairs,,,,,,,,,,,,,jflan

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff said:
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking it's a small warp too.

It can be a little warp or it can be sanded more on one side in the finish sanding process. If the shaft is not spinning absolutely true when the final sanding takes place then the side that wips towards the sanding media will take of a little more material. It doesn't affect play of the cue and if caused by sanding it will not change, if it is a slight movement in the shaft then it could, in time, increase.
Dick

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
Jack Flanagan said:
I agree with hand-sanding,,,,I get a lot of that problem with cues people bring in for repairs,,,,,,,,,,,,,jflan

i've done by hand and it came out perfect. it's because my two previous experiences,,,one by southwest, and another by a cue repairer, turned out like crap.

by hand takes time. i sand the shaft about seven different ways, all while turning the shaft, and using a thick pad in my hand to encompass the shaft evenly as i sand. i use a large(hand-sized, nothing smaller) sandpaper, because you have to sand in broad portions to avoid overworking a small area. i made sure to sand THROUGH the ferrule, NOT UP TO IT....and with the tip in place

it's the variety of approaches that allows for an even sand throughout the shaft's length, even if it has a slight warp.

it is time consuming,,,done in increments over a three day period. the problem with a lathe as i see it, is that one slight hesitation in an area and it's screwed, which is what happened to one of my shafts.........i trust myself.

Last edited:

butterflycues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My own personal cue has more warp than that. I wouldn't let it bother me. It could even be to much clear on one side of the butt or the shaft causing it. Butterflycues

lignum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
many Predator shafts have that same slight wobble , just one of the things you have to put with on Pro Tapered cues . If it doesn't effect the play who cares ! :D

Jeff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I looked at the shaft in question again last night and when it is rolled, the ferrule stays perfectly flat on the table.

If it had warped, wouldn't the ferrule have movement in it when it was rolled?

Where as if it is caused by sanding differences, that would not impact the ferrule.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff said:
I looked at the shaft in question again last night and when it is rolled, the ferrule stays perfectly flat on the table.

If it had warped, wouldn't the ferrule have movement in it when it was rolled?

Where as if it is caused by sanding differences, that would not impact the ferrule.

Am I wrong in this assumption?

Your right in your assumption but if the wiggle is that slight you might not be able to see it. You know, I've probably worked on a 100,000 cues and I don't believe I've ever seen a shaft perfectly true after a month or so of use.
Dick

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhncue said:
Your right in your assumption but if the wiggle is that slight you might not be able to see it. You know, I've probably worked on a 100,000 cues and I don't believe I've ever seen a shaft perfectly true after a month or so of use.
Dick

Same here, I quit telling people their shafts only had a slight bit of runnout, because they would always assume that was a bad thing, even though I tried to explain that just about, if not every shaft I see does, and the lathe tells all tales when they're mounted in it. Some are worse then others, but most I see have atleast alittle, even when it can't be seen on a table. A bad warp Is usually very obvious in the joint or ferrule from what I've seen also, and otherwise, not usually worth worrying about to me, because It is possible It could turn into a partial mental block, and who needs anymore of those. I just decided to keep that info to myself unless the shafts so bad that It's just about slapping me in the head when I throw It in the lathe ;) , so Unless they specifically ask, or it's really bad, I keep it to myself, then It does'nt uneccesarally get in their head, and hurt their play. Greg