Jump cues

Joseph Cues

Cue Nut
Silver Member
Jumping was necessated by the ball in hand rule on fouls.
If the BIH rule did not exist, we'd be all pushing out and would be shooting foul balls on option as spot shots.
I have a jump cue and have to have it when money is on the line.

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
fti said:
That too. Nit-picking aren't we?

What do you mean nit-picking? I only had something to say in response if you were talking about the players in the WPC. If you're talking about the average joe that you play in some 8-ball league somewhere, then yeah, sure. They play however you say they play. I don't have anything to say about that. Now, if you were talking about the players at the WPC, that is sort of funny because you're talking about a group of players that represents the top players in the world, and were all invited, or qualified, to play in that event. Do you know that it sounds pretty funny to have some guy on a web board critisize their safety play?

F

fti

But why should that be so funny? This is a forum where people get together and discuss pool. Furthermore, just because people may participate in the WPC does not mean they are incapable of errors? I have two good friends who participated in the WPC, and if I find that they've made mistakes I'll point it out to them as well.

Micktmason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am with you Jimmy. anyone can be monday quarterback. who says top level players are happy with average safes anyway? maybe just poker faced about it. most players aren't thoroughly satisfied with any shot. how often is your leave absolutely the perfect angle? also jump cues.....hated it

I

instroke

Reno said:
Hello boys and girls,

Reno here. I've lived in Arizona the last 7 years, and I just moved back to central Illinois. The main thing I've noticed of players around here is that they ALL carry, and use, jump cues. Not just once in a while, but EVERY time they're hooked, they run for the jump cue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, mainly because I think it makes them much, much weaker players. If any thing, it'll help me work on my safes to freeze 'em up the balls I'm playing behind. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the matter. Jump cues...for suckers????

In AZ, players learn how to kick...one, two, even three rails. Except for Evans, he'll jump a full ball with his normal cue and draw it back three feet to run out on ya.

These cats around here just don't get it. Maybe it's because most of the action is on bar boxes or eight foot tables. Nothing but bangers around here man. Any opinions out there??

A lot of players do use the jump cue as a sort of crutch but the ones that use it that way are the ones I want to be playing. The guy I don't want to play is the one who knows how and when to jump and how and when to kick. A jump cue is nothing more than a tool made for a specific shot set. It neither makes a better or worse player simply by it's existence. A jump cue used improperly will only serve to hamper a weak player.

For those of you that say kicking is inherently harder than jumping I ask you which is harder; a three rail kick to a safety or a jump-three rail kick to a safety? Jumping balls IS easier with a jump cue, that's what they were designed for. Jumping balls accurately is a practiced skill with and without jump cues.

I am sure that you all will agree that "some" cues "spin" the ball better than others and if you don't then it is a proven fact that some cues "perform" better than others. Despite this performance edge on the part of the cue however all of us have either faced or seen champions who play JAM up with so called inferior cues which only proves that it's how the tool is used and not the tool that makes the player. Conversely a champion with a jam-up pole is going to be positively stellar. Just imagine for a second what kind of spectacular shots JUMPMASTER Earl Strickland would be doing IF he used a jump cue. I can tell you they would be crowd pleasers, full of skill and NOT detrimental to pool at all.

Just my opinion,

John