McDermott Quick Release Removal

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Guys,
A friend has a McDermott with a quick release SS collar/pin assembly that is slightly loose. It will turn approximately 5-10 degrees with a "click" at each end of the twist. I can't get it to turn any further by hand. With a shaft attached, when it unscrews that little bit, it wobbles.
If it weren't this one piece assembly, I'd simply heat the pin to soften the glue, remove the pin, and replace it. However, to heat this collar with a torch enough to soften the glue is likely going to "blue" the collar and might also deform the black phenolic ring next to it.
He bought it on eBay, so doesn't have a receipt from an authorized dealer to send it in for warranty work.
I simply need to unscrew the collar and glue it back on, making sure it is straight, of course. Does anyone have any suggestions? He doesn't mind sending it to McDermott and paying for the repair, but asked me to look at it first.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Gary

Attachments

• 20170225_181510.jpg
    20170225_181510.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 266

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a big fan of McDermott's quick release. Great product. If it's already loose. You might try soft jaws with some leather wrapped around it. Sending it to McDermott is the perfect fix. They're awesome to deal with.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a big fan of McDermott's quick release. Great product. If it's already loose. You might try soft jaws with some leather wrapped around it. Sending it to McDermott is the perfect fix. They're awesome to deal with.
Hi Michael, tried to pm you but couldnt, if the joint was not loose, could you advice on how to change the pin? or remove the entire collar? thank you

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Michael, tried to pm you but couldnt, if the joint was not loose, could you advice on how to change the pin? or remove the entire collar? thank you
Hello Sir
It's one piece with the joint. 5/8x18 i.d.
Heat the end of the joint so you don't melt the finish below the joint. Depending on what you replace it with, your going to have to wet sand or apply finish to the new joint.
Hope this helps.
May I ask,
why do you want to remove the joint?

Attachments

• IMG_251120_043720.jpg
    IMG_251120_043720.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Sir
It's one piece with the joint. 5/8x18 i.d.
Heat the end of the joint so you don't melt the finish below the joint. Depending on what you replace it with, your going to have to wet sand or apply finish to the new joint.
Hope this helps.
May I ask,
why do you want to remove the joint?
Thank you for the picture, do you perhaps have the pics on the internal cap?
a customer wants to have the pin replaced, i'd figure it will be easier to remove the whole joint that try to cut off the pin and reuse the joint..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the picture, do you perhaps have the pics on the internal cap?
a customer wants to have the pin replaced, i'd figure it will be easier to remove the whole joint that try to cut off the pin and reuse the joint..
With the available options for joint screws offered today, I wouldn't remove the joint if I didn't have to. I'd cut the screw off and work from there.
Just my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_251120_121545.jpg
    IMG_251120_121545.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 86

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the available options for joint screws offered today, I wouldn't remove the joint if I didn't have to. I'd cut the screw off and work from there.
Just my opinion.
Thank you so much, this was a great help. since it's like standard SS collars, i guess i could cut the pin off and drill thru the top cap of the collar..

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought I would update this seeing McDermott has upgraded thier internal design.
So if you work on one, it could have either style.
Be careful.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_134021.jpg
    IMG_20240404_134021.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20240404_134341.jpg
    IMG_20240404_134341.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 33