Newbie Terminology Questions

Fliedout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As someone who is trying to learn more about cues, I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me the basic differences between splices, inlays, recuts and veneers. Thanks.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fliedout said:
As someone who is trying to learn more about cues, I'd appreciate it if someone could explain to me the basic differences between splices, inlays, recuts and veneers. Thanks.

Look at a house cue. It is two pieces of wood spliced together. A splice is usually two pieces of wood cut at an angle so they meet on a long flat surface.

Look at any ivory diamond in the sleeve or in the point of a cue. It is an inlay. An inlay is made by cutting a pocket out of a material, and inserting another material into the pocket cut to the same shape. It can be small, as in a dot, or large, as in floating points.

Recut points are points spliced into a cue, then the center of the point is cut out leaving an outline, and another smaller point is inlayed into the space. This creates a veneer look without the seam between the veneers at the end of the points.

Veneers are strips of wood surrounding the points, and because they are individual pieces, there is a seam between them at the end of the point running to the end of the veneers.
Kelly

Fliedout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. So if a cue (like, say, some of Mike Bender's) has multiple recut points within a single "prong", they're all inlaid?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fliedout said:
Thanks. So if a cue (like, say, some of Mike Bender's) has multiple recut points within a single "prong", they're all inlaid?

Well, no. I should have been more careful with my wording...lets try this again.

Recut points are points spliced into a forearm, then the center of the point is cut out leaving an outline of the first point, and another smaller point is spliced into the space...and again... and again if multiple "veneers" are desired. This creates a veneer look without the seam between the veneers at the end of the points.

A point can be an inlay, it depends on how the construction takes place, but I am assuming you are referring to points spliced into a front and then the front is attached to a handle, which is called among other things a half splice.

I hope that helps.
Kelly