Playability of a pool cue

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would appreciate the input and opinions concerning the playabillity of a cue made using only one type of wood (cocobola, maple, etc.) with no points, veneers, or inlays vs a cue made with those items. This is with the assumption that a quality cue builder made both cues using the same joint, ferrule, and tip. What would be the noticeable difference other than appearance?

BazookaJoe

Destroyer of stickers
Silver Member
I know of no difference the fancy work would make. Other than the mental "confidence" side of it.

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
the best southwests i ever played with were the plain, no point cues.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vee, pointed cues do play a little differantly than cues with no points. CNC points, [or flat bottom points also play differantly].

Some feel the cue with no points, hits firmer, some feel with Vee or flat, points they hit firmer. It's just your personal feel touch and opinion. As far as Vee, points, these are cut down to the back-bone of the wood. Flat bottom are surface cut, points,[only about .125 [ 1/8th] deep..They play a little firmer, than Vee points. Vee points, seem to play a little softer than flat bottom points. I like all of them.

blud

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, tip, ferrule, shaft configuration, joint size, weight, balance point, and which woods are used in the construction, all these things make up differant hits with cues.
blud

K

King Cueball

Im not sure About this but i dont think the wood would make any diffrence on how you shoot. As long as the tip is in shape and the cue is level you can shoot as good as your skills will let you.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi King cueball.

Yes, differant woods do have a differant kind of feel and touch. In my opinion, bocote, has the best feel when hitting the ball. Coco-bola, ebony, and a few others, are so dense, that it's hard to "feel" the ball. You can feel it, but it's almost like it's not allowing you to feel the soft shot as well as the more medium to hard shots.

Again, it's all about what you like. Building cues for so many years, i have found which woods allow you to really feel the shots. Maple has a much softer than ebony, or coca-bola. Purple-heart hits even softer.
blud

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
i have heard, from two other cuemakers, that bocote delivers a very crisp hit, though i never played with one myself.

i don't like cocabola. it has a dense, dead hit to me. something like a compressed telephone book.

ebony has a better sting but it delivers a noticable ping sound that some find distracting.

tiger maple, fiddleback,,,have a softer hit than birdseye, if you ask me.

LC3

Playing the table
Silver Member
Blud, I'm glad to hear you say that bacote has the nicest feel, because I've always liked that wood. I've read that bacote is a variety of rosewood. Do all the kinds of rosewood have a similar feel (all other variables of the cue being equal)? I'm a big fan of goncalo alves too.

To what extent does coring affect the feel of the main wood (or should the core be considered the main wood in terms of affect on feel)? What kind of wood do most cuemakers use for the core?

Other than being able to conserve precious hardwood, what is the advantage of using a separate section of wood for the handle? Are there any structural disadvantages to using a single piece of wood for the entire cue?

Last edited:

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi LC3,
yes, coring out the forearm makes a big differance in the cues hit. By doing this you take away the woods natural hit and feel.Most cuemakers, do use maple for handle stock and cores, some use a laminated maple product, some like me use hard-rock-straight grain maple. The lamanated woods, are a little heavier than a maple dowel.The extra weight is caused by the glue used to hold it all together.

As far as the handle, it's hard rock maple, and pretty darn stable. And it cost less than the maiforearm and butt seleve material woods used. Why cover up a nice piece of wood with leather or irish-linnen and not show the wonderful grain?

Structural dis-advantages using the same wood for the entire cue, is that a one piece butt section, will warp very easly. Using two pieces, makes it stronger and less likely to go nuts on yo.

Yes, Bruin70, it has it's own wonderfull hit and feel.

blud

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Just wanted to say , Doug this was a great question and Blud, very informative posts, Thanks!

This is what this forum needs more of!

Zim

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am pleased to help out. Please continue with your questions. I will do what i can.
blud