Re-occuring problem with CTE, please help

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to keep having this problem with CTE that I don't seem to have with just normal aiming. Don't get me wrong, I love CTE, and everything that it's done for me (which is alot), I'm having a lot of trouble with what I see when I get down on the shot.

With normal aiming, I stand behind the cue ball, and when I'm lined up correctly, I just move straight down into the center of the cue ball, and I can usually tell if it looks correct or not. I can also tweak my aiming accordingly until it looks right (within reason!).

With CTE, sometimes I get down and it looks right, and it goes in. Other times it'll look wrong, and still go in, other time it'll look right and I'll miss horribly. I also have no idea how to tweak the shot. Either I make it with authority, or I miss it by a mile.

I thought if I worked on it long enough, my brain would train itself to recognize when the shot looks off (I've been at it since June).

I shoot left-handed, with my right eye over the cue, and my right chin is always touching the cue in the same place.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to keep having this problem with CTE that I don't seem to have with just normal aiming. Don't get me wrong, I love CTE, and everything that it's done for me (which is alot), I'm having a lot of trouble with what I see when I get down on the shot.

With normal aiming, I stand behind the cue ball, and when I'm lined up correctly, I just move straight down into the center of the cue ball, and I can usually tell if it looks correct or not. I can also tweak my aiming accordingly until it looks right (within reason!).

With CTE, sometimes I get down and it looks right, and it goes in. Other times it'll look wrong, and still go in, other time it'll look right and I'll miss horribly. I also have no idea how to tweak the shot. Either I make it with authority, or I miss it by a mile.

I thought if I worked on it long enough, my brain would train itself to recognize when the shot looks off (I've been at it since June).

I shoot left-handed, with my right eye over the cue, and my right chin is always touching the cue in the same place.

Very hard to say without being there to watch you. Likely culprits are the way you pivot. That can easily be why they look wrong, but still go in. You might be moving your head to a different position when you pivot. Can also be using the wrong pivot or wrong visuals.

When you have a shot that presents your problems, keep setting it up and shooting it until you see what you did differently on it from the shots you had no problem with. Don't just continue on to another different shot. Solve your problem first.

Big C

Deep in the heart of TX.
Silver Member
The perceptions A, B & C will take some getting used to if you are new to CTE. When you are lining up the CB edge to one of the aim points and the CB center to the OB edge, you will notice that the CB/OB relationship looks a bit different compared to "normal aiming". Then there is the pivot, be it manual or the visual sweep into center CB. This is the part where you are judging whether to thicken, or thin the shot. For example, A and inside thins the shot whereas A and outside thickens it. If you missed the shot by a lot, make sure you pay attention to where the OB went. Set up the shot again and try another aim point or use the opposite pivot/sweep.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent advice by Neil and big c.

If you do the straight stroke drill, how straight is your stroke at 2, 3 and 4 speed? Aim is irrelevant without being able to hit the cb where you're aiming.

I personally use three different shot shot ups that I consider my CTE calibration drills. Doing these often are a way to keep my stroke, perceptions and sweeps calibrated.

The first set up is hitting straight shots along the diagonal from one corner pocket to the other at varying distances between the cb and ob. When I do this, I do both CTE with a manual pivot as well as with a Pro One sweep. I also do it with both ETA and ETC. I do stop shots with the goal of perfect alignment. Also, does the cb have any spin which would indicate you're not striking ccb? I also practice follow shots with the goal of following the cb into the pocket. Don't forget, when the distance between the cb and ob is 12"or less, you use 1/8 instead of 1/4 for a and c. It is important to practice this shot so you recognize that visual.

The second set up is with the ob in the middle of the table midway between the 3rd and 4th diamonds. The cb is also in the middle of the table starting at the 3rd diamond on the other 1/2 of the table. I shoot the shot to both corner pockets. I shoot the shots with a and c as well as b. I also use CTE with manual pivot and using the Pro One sweep. After hitting one of each, move the cb further from the ob, in 1/2 diamond increments, until it sits on the end rail. Remember that when the distance between the cb and ob reaches 4 diamonds, a or c is no longer applicable, just b.

Finally, the third set up is the 5 shots from Stan's youtube video that have been "discussed" in recent threads. I go across, left to right, using a and then cut to the other pocket using c. Repeat the process using b. Again, I do these using CTE with a manual pivot and with Pro One.

Imho, these shot set ups offer an excellent sampling to challenge your ability to perform the visuals and bring your cue in aligned correctly. Don't rush through these shots. Treat each shot as if it is the winning shot in an important match. As Neil suggested, when you're having trouble with one of the shots, vary what you're doing until you can determine what you were likely doing wrong and you own the shot. As you gain expertise and own the shot, take note of how things look when you're in the shooting position. After some time, you'll notice that correct image is the same for all a shots ... and c shots ... and b shots. Stan covers this in the "CTE Full Circle" youtube videos.

Finally, with CTE, you also have the challenge of shooting with an angled cue. Hold your shot after you complete the stroke to check that you are stroking straight and not inadvertently getting off line by subconsciously steering the cue.

I hope this helps, best of luck with your efforts. Put in this effort at each of your practice sessions for the next month or two and I'll guarantee you'll experience substantial improvement.

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the advice everyone. I just need to know though, On every shot, it should look correct right? Is your body on the aim line, the same way it would be on a ghost ball approach?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the advice everyone. I just need to know though, On every shot, it should look correct right? Is your body on the aim line, the same way it would be on a ghost ball approach?

It should, yes. When learning it, sometimes it doesn't. Check your PSR. It should be the same for all standard shots if using pro 1.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

When you are using CTE with a manual pivot, it most certainly will not look like ghost ball. You do not move your head or body when you pivot. If you use a pro one sweep, it will look like ghost ball.

cutemonster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set up a object ball and cue ball at half table distance at fixed location. And then shoot with same perception, same pivot for many times until I can get used to it. However, right visual sweep is still odd for me. I feel like i'm tangled sometimes.

cutemonster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember that when the distance between the cb and ob reaches 4 diamonds, a or c is no longer applicable, just b.

nobcitypool,
is it mention in the dvd? or you found it out yourself. anyway, thanks for sharing.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remember that when the distance between the cb and ob reaches 4 diamonds, a or c is no longer applicable, just b.

nobcitypool,
is it mention in the dvd? or you found it out yourself. anyway, thanks for sharing.

It is mentioned in the DVD and I do have problems with longer shots, but in general, I think my main problem is I have trouble finding the centre of the cue-ball. I feel like center cue ball for 15, vs 30 degree perception are slightly different.

For example, let's say it's a 15 degree perception for a left cut, I generally have two approaches:

1. I'll align myself to Left side to Point A, and as soon as I have that fixed point, I'll rotate my head/entire body by stepping back with my right foot, and it feels like I'm swinging along that alignment, until I line up with centre ball to Right Edge.

2. The other approach is I'll kinda blur my vision a little, and line up both visuals at the same time. And I feel like the difference, personally for me is that depending on the visual, A and B are very easy and distinct, but the cue ball centre feels different for each. I also have to keep my head in a fixed position, and focus my eyes on each line to check if they're correct, before returning to a more peripheral mode in order to see both. Sometimes I feel like my eyes are mainly aligned to the centre to edge line, and I have to glance up and left to check the edge to A line.

I've also noticed that I feel like my head is positioned to the left of the shot line in an extreme way. Like I'm almost observing someone else shoot over their left shoulder. BTW I'm a lefty and I'm right eye-dominant.

I hope this helps

Last edited:

stan shuffett

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

nobcitypool,

At About 4 diamonds, sometimes up to about 54/55 inches the 30 degree perception breaks down, in other words B is no longer used.

What's left? The 15 or 45 or the 60.

Stan Shuffett

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I set up a object ball and cue ball at half table distance at fixed location. And then shoot with same perception, same pivot for many times until I can get used to it. However, right visual sweep is still odd for me. I feel like i'm tangled sometimes.

I had the same exact problem with right visual sweeps. That is the main reason I quit using CTE. Hope you can figure it out.

cutemonster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nine_ball6970,
Don't quit!!! This is a great aiming system. I can feel like I can play better and more confidently and eliminate a lot of pressure in the tournament. It's a good system but required you to adapt it. I'm still learning it but I can see some changes in my games already.

Stan, nobcitypool,
Just to clarify. The "4 diamond rule" is applied when at CB and OB is 4 diamond(54/55 inches) apart or more? And B(30deg) is no longer use.

thanks!

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

nobcitypool,

Actually, I inadvertently stated it opposite. No, I don't invent anything with CTE, Hal and Stan have invented it very nicely. Every time I hear somebody say they have found a derivation that "works for them" I think to myself that really means they didn't figure out CTE properly. My experience is when CTE is executed properly, it works flawlessly. I'd rather invest time perfecting my personal execution than waste it attempting to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited:

BlueCollarBar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds to me like a bridge position issue. It took me quite some time to figure out the proper bridge placement and I still have to tweak it from time to time. I wish there was a good way for me to explain it to you from what I've learned. A lot of it was trial and error and keeping mental notes throughout the process. Going through the different shots and drills that Stan has laid out and experimenting with your bridge position should help you find where you need to be more consistently.

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I've figured out something that helps with my issue, I've started looking at the centre of the cue ball for my alignment, instead of using the bottom of the cue ball. I've also noticed that I'm MUCH more right eye dominant than I first thought. It feels like I have to rest the right top part of my jaw against the cue. I feel like I'm almost resting it under my ear. It feels super awkward since I'm cross-eye dominant, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. As for the bridge placement, I found the masking tape exercise super helpful, and practice on my computer desk at home whenever I have free time. I just make sure the "V" of my bridge ends up on the appropriate edge of the tape depending on the pivot I use.
/
Edit: Tried the center ball bit tonight, did not work, bottom is still better. I think I found something helpful for the lefty/right-eye problem. I've been shooting with a "chicken wing" and I think the closer my face is to the cue-ball, the more skewed my visuals are. Straightening out my arm seemed to help, but I only figured that out about 20 min before the bare closed. Will try again next time.

Last edited:

tonythetiger583

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I've been having a hard time trying to line up the CTE perceptions. When I consciously try and line up both the CTE line and the E to X line, it would always be inconsistent. But after 8 months, I've noticed that I can tell when the perception is correct. Is that what I'm supposed to be striving for? Because I still can't line up the lines independently. I just know when the relationship I'm seeing between the OB, CB, and my head position, are correct. Am I on the right path? I'm not estimating anything, but I can tell when it's correct. I'm having a hard time explaining it. Input from other CTE'rs would be helpful.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I've been having a hard time trying to line up the CTE perceptions. When I consciously try and line up both the CTE line and the E to X line, it would always be inconsistent. But after 8 months, I've noticed that I can tell when the perception is correct. Is that what I'm supposed to be striving for? Because I still can't line up the lines independently. I just know when the relationship I'm seeing between the OB, CB, and my head position, are correct. Am I on the right path? I'm not estimating anything, but I can tell when it's correct. I'm having a hard time explaining it. Input from other CTE'rs would be helpful.

This may help. It helped me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1Psy5hOJT0

John