Rodney Morris Interview

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great website.

Is it possible to read the article about Rodney Morris without logging in as a member?

ManlyShot

Luke Riches

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
No, you need to register which should take between 4 and 6 seconds to do. Then you can look at all the other great stuff on the site.

Luke Riches
Matchroom Sport

SneakyPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Luke-I've tried to login using severazl e-mails addresses of my own, and can't login-help! BTW, did email for help but haven't had a response yet.

crown

Registered
I know rock,hope he does good!
"It Doesn't Get Any Better Than This"
Rocket Rodney Morris is one of the two debutants on Team America this year. The 32 year-old from Hawaii takes his place in the line-up following a solid season of tournament play, where the racked up enough high finishes to garner a top four ranking.

The charismatic Morris recently won the Matchroom Sport-promoted World Pool League in Warsaw, Poland where he overcame Efren Reyes, Thorsten Hohmann, Oliver Ortmann, Tony Drago and Hui-kai Hsia to bag the $15,000 first prize (pictured).

Mosconicup.com caught up with the Rocket in Warsaw where he gave us his views on pool, the Mosconi Cup, Hawaii and life in general.

Rodney, there are obviously a lot of big egos in Team America. It's a side packed with individual talent that will need to come together as a team if they are to win the cup back. Tell us your views on your fellow players.

Earl Strickland is the reason why I turned pro. I just loved his fast and loose power game and I wanted to be just like him which is probably why I still play relatively fast. Earl's track record speaks for itself and he's accomplished so much in his career. I hope I have been as successful as he has when I finally retire.

Jeremy Jones is a great person and a tremendous talent. His concentration and focus are very strong and important parts of his game. It's just amazing to me how he can put so much into a match and put everything he has into every shot. He is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Johnny Archer is probably the fiercest competitor there has ever been in pool. This man can literally win a match by terrifying his opponent. His determination and will to win are so strong, you can just see it when he's playing a match. Johnny is one to bet on when he's playing well.

I mean Player of the Decade is no small accomplishment. A great asset is that he can win even when he's not playing particularly well and that is very tough to do. Tremendous heart is what he has and that puts him ahead of all the other players.

Charlie Williams is a good friend and an unbelievably talented individual. He breaks like King Kong and runs out like Godzilla. Now that he's been on tour for a few years, he knows how to win big matches and that just makes him all the more dangerous.

His shot-making ability is second to none and his game is getting more and more polished every day. He's a great guy with a great game to match. Never underestimate the "Korean Dragon".

Tony Robles is one of the best guys I have ever met. I've had battles against him and with him, and all I can say is that he is a great player.

He has a great attitude about the game and you can never tell if he's upset over a shot. He has a great poker face and he just plays the game. That's why he's called the Silent Assassin. He never says a word while he's beating you to a pulp and when the match is over, he's your best friend again. That's what I admire the most about him.

There must have been some very bleak moments for you over the past six years. Did you always believe that you would survive it all and get back to the top of the pool tree? (Morris served just under four years in jail in the late 90's after being convicted of a drug conspiracy)

My legal trouble was something that I never thought would ruin my game. I just looked at it as an opportunity to get the rest of my life on the right track.

The four years I was away were years that I can never get back, I realize that, but I feel much stronger mentally. I know that any tough situation this game can present to me will never be as tough as some of the things I had to endure during those years.

I always believe that things happen for a reason and I really appreciate what I do for a living more now. I have a God-given talent and I'm not wasting it. And I also appreciate the little things in life more like having a nice dinner or a great conversation.

These are things that most of us take for granted but as far as regaining my top form, I always knew I would be right back there if I still decided to play pool.

In fact, the first thing that I told one of my friends back in Hawaii, was that he should call up the billiard magazines to tell everyone that they all have to drop down one spot from wherever they're ranked!

Hawaii is nearly 2,500 miles from continental USA. How different are the folks on the islands from their mainland compatriots?

The difference between a person from Hawaii and someone from the rest of the United States is simple. Hawaiians have what we affectionately call "Aloha Spirit".

It comes from our easy-going, laidback way of life. No-one can truly grasp it unless they've actually been there and hung out with some of us. Any one of us will give you the shirt off our backs and not think twice about it - that's just how we are.

Most people are sceptical when they see the sort of kindness like we have in Hawaii, but with Hawaiians, what you see is what is real. If you ever go to Hawaii, you'll see what I'm talking about. You might never leave though, so beware!

The world of international pool is fairly close knit. How well do you know the guys in the blue shirts in the opposite corner?

I know the European team, but not very well. I had the honour of being invited to the World Championship in Cardiff in July and that's where I met most of them.

They are all great players of course, but I noticed something unusual. It seemed to me that they were all very friendly and courteous to all of the other players, which was strange to me because I'm used to the US tournaments where nobody talks to each other and everybody is real serious.

So that to me was interesting because they were all still able to perform at a high level while still being gentlemen. I really enjoy that type of atmosphere. It makes playing more enjoyable. And even though we are going to be rivals in the Mosconi Cup, I'm sure I'll enjoy competing against the European team.

How will it feel to pull on the Team America shirt for the first time on Thursday December 18?

I'm really proud to be chosen to play for my country in this year's Mosconi Cup, but at the same time, I'm very nervous. I don't want to embarrass myself, but I know I will be fine.

I live for the pressure and excitement and this will be a great opportunity to show everybody what we're all made of. It doesn't get any better than this. America versus Europe. Wow! What else is there to say? I just hope World War III doesn't start because of this!

I believe the cameras and the lights are better for me because I'm a performer. And the more people who are watching, the better I'll perform. I really feed off the energy of the big crowds so I hope people will be screaming for us out there.

Top sportsmen are notoriously superstitious. Are there any crazy things you just have to do or else you just won't win?

The only superstition I have in pool is probably just this one. If I go to a tournament and win, the next tournament I go to, I want to try and do the same thing that I was doing when I won the previous week. Like workout in the morning, shave at a certain time, eat a certain food. Just silly things like that.

You've won some big tournaments in your time but what ambitions do you have both on and off the table?

My ambition in pool is of course to be the number one player in the world. I have always wanted to win the US Open, BCA Open, and World Championships in the same calendar year. So that would be a goal realized if I could do that.

In my personal life it would be to be a good father to my daughter, Taylor, and to provide for my family and to know that no matter what I choose to do from now on, that I enjoy it and do it well.

Luke Riches

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
SneakyPete said:
Luke-I've tried to login using severazl e-mails addresses of my own, and can't login-help! BTW, did email for help but haven't had a response yet.

I have brought it to the attention of the site administrator. Hopefuly you will hear from him soon....

Luke

K

King Cueball

Rodney will be a good player for the united states when he is in dead stroke he can beat just about anyone USA USA USA! we have to bring the cup back!!!!!!!