shopsmith mark V as a cue repair lathe?

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,
Im new to this forum but I have a fair number of years playing pool. I've been a woodworker for a few years now and have always been interested in anything I can build/modify/destroy(when the modifying doesn't go so well). Lately I've been getting really interested in doing some cue repair jobs (tips, cleaning, etc...). I have been looking through a lot of the posts but I am not sure what is needed to get started. I was wondering if anyone thought a shopsmith could be modified to do these tasks. I don't know if everyone knows what a shopsmith is but it is a multi machine (saw/drill press/lathe/horizontal borer .. plus others). The reason I ask it has a pretty descent power motor, develops 1 1/2hp and it has on the fly speed control I can bring it anywhere from 700-5000 rpms. I can also buy an attachment that halfs the lowest speed to 350 rpms if needed. could this work? I'd like to start doing repairs for people and saving what I make to buy some machinery to start building cues in time. if not what route should I go if my ultimate goal is to build some cues for fun as pool and wood are my hobbies and I would like to try the two together :)

Thanks for any replies

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Am I in the wrong section?

Did I post this question in the wrong section? I am just wondering if I have to go out and buy a metal working lathe to start doing tips or if I can use my wood lathe somehow to get started? I've searched through lots of previous posts but have not found much. Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

Matt LeClerc

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange_Days said:
Did I post this question in the wrong section? I am just wondering if I have to go out and buy a metal working lathe to start doing tips or if I can use my wood lathe somehow to get started? I've searched through lots of previous posts but have not found much. Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

Matt LeClerc

Although never having owned a Shopsmith I am a little familier with them. If you only want to install tips and do shaft cleaning and polishing and perhaps wraps then a Shopsmith is fine. All of these tasks are or can be done on a wood lathe which your Shopsmith I'm sure has. It is probably a little hard shaping the tip but other than that no problems. There is one other repair that most, if not all repairmen do that would be hard to accomplish satisfactory on a wood lathe and that is installing ferrules. Ferrules are hard, tough on tooling and must be put on to within a .001 of the shaft diameter. You really do need the precision of a metal lathe, with a tailstock, to do this job correctly.
I started doing tips and polishes about 35 years ago with just a variable speed drill to turn the shaft. I had a tenon maker that I was using to install fibre ferrules at the time and now that I know better I am truly ashamed of the ferrule work that was done during that time period. I know of a man who was doing some cue repair work in this area who was using a floor model drill press as a lathe. It is surprising at some of the things that he accomplished with this. He recently killed himself, probably from trying to install a ferrule correctly though.
Dick

Strange_Days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply, I'm not really sure how to start but i don't want to spend a few thousand bucks without a little firsthand experience first. I've seen a few people talk about using mini-lathes 7 X 10 or 12's. From what I can find they run about $500-$600 but will they do the job ok and would they just be a waste if I want to continue on to bigger and better things? also I was wondering how you would accomplish shaft cleaning on one of those, and what additional tooling would I need to get started doing the basics? If anyone has an idiots guide to cue repair I am your man. Thanks again

Matt LeClerc

rhncue said:
Although never having owned a Shopsmith I am a little familier with them. If you only want to install tips and do shaft cleaning and polishing and perhaps wraps then a Shopsmith is fine. All of these tasks are or can be done on a wood lathe which your Shopsmith I'm sure has. It is probably a little hard shaping the tip but other than that no problems. There is one other repair that most, if not all repairmen do that would be hard to accomplish satisfactory on a wood lathe and that is installing ferrules. Ferrules are hard, tough on tooling and must be put on to within a .001 of the shaft diameter. You really do need the precision of a metal lathe, with a tailstock, to do this job correctly.
I started doing tips and polishes about 35 years ago with just a variable speed drill to turn the shaft. I had a tenon maker that I was using to install fibre ferrules at the time and now that I know better I am truly ashamed of the ferrule work that was done during that time period. I know of a man who was doing some cue repair work in this area who was using a floor model drill press as a lathe. It is surprising at some of the things that he accomplished with this. He recently killed himself, probably from trying to install a ferrule correctly though.
Dick

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Strange_Days said:
If anyone has an idiots guide to cue repair I am your man. Thanks again

Matt LeClerc

http://www.cuesmith.com

Chris has machinery at a minimal cost for everything you need to get started in repairs, and you can always use the machines later on if/when you get more into cue making. He also has tapes and a book to help you get started.

~Shakes