Slate glued to table frame

rmontey

I have just purchased a 9x4.5 three piece slate table and looks like it was assembled on site.

Trouble is whoever did the assembly glued the slate to the table frame. I need to remove the slate to relocate the table?

Can anybody advise the best way to separate the slate from the frame without damaging the slate or the table?

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
I had this once before.
A 10 x 5 with the 3 piece slate epoxy to the frame. Yes epoxy.!!!!!
I don't really understand why someone would do this.
I ended up getting a spatula which is thin and flexible, I then heated up the spatula with a plumbers torch which got the spatula warm to hot. I then pushed the spatula between the slate and the frame and melted the epoxy then pulled the slate off.

Last edited:

rmontey

Thanks Gazman that's roughly what I was planning but was hoping somebody had an easier methods - Damn - looks like I got a big job ahead.

Where in Qld are you.

gazman100

Silver Member
This is the table which was epoxy to the frame.
You can see the blue bottle used to heat up the blades to melt the epoxy.
I also used a couple of wedges to lift the state slightly as I progressed.

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 116

rmontey

This is the table which was epoxy to the frame.
You can see the blue bottle used to heat up the blades to melt the epoxy.
I also used a couple of wedges to lift the state slightly as I progressed.
Won't work spoke to the place that built the table. Slate has been glued and pinned to the frame. He said this was standard practice and it will be impossible to remove. Will have to move the table as is. Buggar.

rmontey

I had this once before.
A 10 x 5 with the 3 piece slate epoxy to the frame. Yes epoxy.!!!!!
I don't really understand why someone would do this.
I ended up getting a spatula which is thin and flexible, I then heated up the spatula with a plumbers torch which got the spatula warm to hot. I then pushed the spatula between the slate and the frame and melted the epoxy then pulled the slate off.
Did as you said wouldn't move turns out slate has been pinned to the frame also.

gazman100

Silver Member
The table I did this to was epoxy only without screws or pins.
When I rebuilt the table I drilled my own screw holes in the slate and screwed it down as normal without epoxy.
Cheers

Last edited: