Square cored cues?

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watts drills i linked to above (old school company, they still don't have a website) will cut square holes straight into steel. no starter hole. but the corners are rounded. The other methods listed will make clean square holes in wood, and slater tools or pull broaches will do wood or metal so long as a round hole is drilled first. Broaches can be had in quite long lengths.

Lexicologist71

Rabid Schuler fanatic
Silver Member
So, I believe these should not be called Square Cored cues. The term cored implies boring/drilling a hole and then in the case of cues, filling it with a different material. These have not been bored, nor drilled....Think of a cored apple, taking core samples, etc. all involve boring/drilling. I feel it's a bit misleading. IMO, a more accurate/true term would be a Laminated cue. Not knocking the method at all, just I feel the current name implies a falseness about the construction methods used.
I agree. Words do have meanings.

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen a curious looking cue with a square core revealed at the base of the joint. I tried to find some info on square cored cues but couldn't really find anything. My question is, why use a square as opposed to the more standard cylindrical core in cue making? Thanks in advance.
just for clarification, having a square core and being cored are 2 different meanings now days. "coring" a cue involves drilling out the center of a piece of the cue and inserting a dowel into it. having a square core involves gluing pieces of wood to the sides of a square blank ( as cueman has explained). the answer to "why use a square" is basically for stability. it offers a full solid piece of wood for the butt and in the case of snooker cues, the shaft wood continues into the butt. the most notable cuemakers that use/used this technique are Dennis Deickman of the USA and Parrish snooker cues from Europe. the coring/dowel method is the more current way to achieve stability but it requires the use of "A" joints and may not be as stable as square. there are different challenges in each method so i am not implying one is better than the other.