Techno Dud

CaptainBly

Registered
I recently upgraded my lathe from a cheap Chinese tip machine. Ever sense I cant get a techno dud installed without it "popping" . I was wondering if any of you have a good video of your method for trimming these? I have searched and came up empty. I did ask Chris and he said he uses a custom blade for the install. Any tips would be much appreciated.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Seconding the brand new blade for each tip. I believe you can also use a bit of water to keep it cool, but I've not had to do so. I've only had one turn into popcorn and it was because I accidentally grabbed a dull as hell blade, thinking it was my new sharp one. The blade was so dull you could ride to town on it and not get cut.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not all razor blades are created equal. Make sure you're using good blades, I use Irwin bi-metal. With that said, sometimes a blade comes out of the package with a bad edge. If you start cutting a tip and you get resistance, flip it over and try the other side. If it's still fighting you, throw that blade to the side and grab a new one.

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently upgraded my lathe from a cheap Chinese tip machine. Ever sense I cant get a techno dud installed without it "popping" . I was wondering if any of you have a good video of your method for trimming these? I have searched and came up empty. I did ask Chris and he said he uses a custom blade for the install. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Try the carbon edged blades, and yes, wet the sides of the tip. Might be over kill, but I've never had an issue with what you're describing. Also, lathe speed 12 to 1500 with razor knife.