The 'Feel' of the shot

Ken Barlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, I've been coaching my wife now for some time (which is not an easy thing...trust me.) and on occassion, she has asked how to play a particular shot, or how do I know how much english to put on the shot, or how hard to hit the shot or even how do I control the distance that I'm drawing the CB and I've tried to explain this thing that I refer to as 'Feel'.

It's really difficult, if not impossible, to explain that you can 'Feel' the shot and when I try to explain, she thinks that of been smoking something.

Anyone else ever had this problem? Anyone know of an easy way of explaining this 'Feel' factor that might make sense to someone who hasn't experienced it yet?

All I know is that it's something that comes with practice and time.

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying for 5 years. Finally gave up 3 months ago!

You develop the feel for the shot after playing for a period of time. For some this may be shorter than others but it will definitely come if you play long enough. I play my best when I am totally relaxed. There are times when I play that I cannot detect a muscle moving in my entire body except my elbow. This is by all means when I play my best and feel the shot. I don't even look at the pockets, I can just feel where they are and hit them dead center.....what I would do to feel it all the time!:D

Eventually, she will feel the difference in cue sticks, tips, table cloth, rails, even the liveliness of the balls she is using and the level of humidy in the room! Tell her you know what you are talking about and too listen.:D

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Ken Barlow said:
All I know is that it's something that comes with practice and time.

Do you always answer you on questions like that? :p

Honestly, shoot same shot until you cant miss.....that is how you learn a shot... you can give all the tips you want but they HAVE TO GET IT... practice doesnt make perfect..perfect practice however does.

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
We use feel all the time in every activity we engage in. How do you know how much pressure to apply to the gas pedal or brake, how much to turn the wheel for a given curve? How do you make your fingers hit the right key when you are typing? It's all feel. On the table, it takes a little longer to develop than in a lot of easier activities. One thing that I tell people who are obviously shooting too hard all the time is to practice hitting the ball so that the object ball just barely makes it to the pocket.

Ken Barlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But is that not a little different. I mean the feel of the cue ball for me is almost like I'm in meditation mode.

"Feel the balls, Be the balls, Become one with the balls." I mean who would listen to a coach like that. I would deffinately think you were either on dope or blind drunk if you tried getting me to have this out of body experience.

This is way beyond pushing the gas peddle a little harder, or turning the wheel of your car a little more.

Am I making sense or am I the one that sounds like he's been on some form of mood enhancer????

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Several years ago, I worked for Fedex. In a class Fred Smith was teaching, he said something that has stuck with me for years. "You can't manage anything that you can't measure." It's true in business, and it's true in pool. That's why in pool school we teach you how to measure the three things you have control over on every shot..Angle, Speed, and Spin. Once you can measure these things, you can learn how to manage all aspects of the shot. It's a lot easier, and a lot more precise than trying to teach someone how to "feel" the shot.
Steve

renard

Play in these conditions?
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
Several years ago, I worked for Fedex. In a class Fred Smith was teaching, he said something that has stuck with me for years. "You can't manage anything that you can't measure." It's true in business, and it's true in pool. That's why in pool school we teach you how to measure the three things you have control over on every shot..Angle, Speed, and Spin. Once you can measure these things, you can learn how to manage all aspects of the shot. It's a lot easier, and a lot more precise than trying to teach someone how to "feel" the shot.
Steve

Nice Post......

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
pooltchr said:
"You can't manage anything that you can't measure." It's true in business, and it's true in pool.

This concept is true in an amazing array of applications (I'd say fn everything, but then I'm an engineer who loves to measure things :cool: ).

In my estimation this thing called "feel" , er, "feel of the shot" (as opposed to the "feel of the cue", something completely different and even less measureable in todays pool technology) is a little thing called muscle memory. Practice the same shot enough times and you get the 'feel' of the shot. Those with powerful imaginations can practice "in their minds" and develop similar, if not identical muscle memory. Note that like all memories, they fade with time, seconds and years alike. That's why a few practice stokes help, and playing every day helps, and playing regularly over the year helps. It also helps if you can "be the ball".

Dave, tossed that last one in for giggles and cause he hasn't referenced Caddy Shack lately

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
There is a excellent article on...

Ken Barlow said:
But is that not a little different. I mean the feel of the cue ball for me is almost like I'm in meditation mode.

"Feel the balls, Be the balls, Become one with the balls." I mean who would listen to a coach like that. I would deffinately think you were either on dope or blind drunk if you tried getting me to have this out of body experience.

This is way beyond pushing the gas peddle a little harder, or turning the wheel of your car a little more.

Am I making sense or am I the one that sounds like he's been on some form of mood enhancer????
B.D. regarding just this, it is an eyeopener the article discusses Feel versus Mechanical players and the pros and cons of both types !