Took the CF plunge - CF shaft by EAP

dquarasr

Registered
Got the green light to invest some $ into a CF shaft. Happy Birthday to me. (It was Monday!) Merry Christmas to me!

Locally well-respected cue maker Ed Petersen (EAP Cues) made me a shaft.

12.5mm
3.9 oz
Kamikaze Elite Soft tip
$275

This shaft can work on either of my Adam butts; 5/16x18.

It's a few oz lighter than either of my Adam maple shafts (13.2 and 12.7) at 3.91 oz. I thought it would take me a while to get used to the 12.5, but since I play mostly with the 12.7, it's not really that different.

I did a deflection comparison. Both the Adams shafts deflect about 3/4 ball on a six-diamond max sidespin shot (9-ft table) with me shooting them. The EAP shaft deflects somewhere between not at all and 1/4 ball. (Not a TOTAL fair comparison as I am pretty sure I stroked "through" the shots better by the time I put on the EAP shaft. But I did do multiple shots both left and right with all three shafts and got fairly consistent results.)

I love the hit on this cue. It's a very, very solid hit. It even has a nice sound, somewhere between a smack and a ping. (Yeah, try describing a sound with words. Not easy!)

Anyways, I've been playing about 3-4 hours with it since yesterday when I picked it up. I think I am really going to love this shaft. Photos below.

While I was there, Ed was working on a GORGEOUS exotic-wood butt. The very interesting grain was tinted green and had some interesting inlays. The points were so, um, pointy. Ed does beautiful work. If I ever hit the lottery, I'll order a full cue.

Disclaimer: I'm a banger, hover around SL5-6 in APA. I am only mildly used to adjusting for deflection because 1) I suck and I'm not good enough to know when I miss whether it's because I stroked wrong or because of deflection; and 2) I try to avoid sidespin when shooting long distances because I suck. LOL.

1669838713680.png

1669838731890.png

1669838755069.png