Top Players on Brunswicks

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I was curious about how much the top players averages would drop if they had to play on a slow, unheated older Brunswick like I play on.

If Blomdahl averages 2.0 on a good day on a heated European table, what do you think he would average on a slow Brunswick?

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends on the condition of the tables. The fact that they are slower or unheated wouldn't make a huge difference. If the tables were in disrepair and the rubber inconsistent, it would make a big difference. In 1979, on bad tables, in Lima, Peru, Ceulemans averaged nearly 1.4. To put that into perspective- there was no air conditioning, the lighting was poor, the arena was open to the outside where people would walk in and out of the matches constantly, street noise was loud in the arena...basically it was not a great venue for a tournament and nearly 30 years ago. I think that if the tables you play on are clean and the rubber is good, you would see only a 10%-15% drop, and that would be because the angle of the table is different and many of the shots that are possible on the Euro tables would not be possible on the old Brunswick. With that said, remember that these are the best players in the world and they can usually come up with a pretty strong "plan B."

Deno