tournament flyers

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whats a good program that can make flyers?

Also what types of information do you thing HAS to be on the
flyer?
I have made some and think I know what I want on it but am trying to get some others opinions.

hustlefinger

Silver Member
What’s a good program to make flyers?

There are many programs from simple text editors to elaborate drawing packages. It all depends on what you’re looking to do. If you want text and some simple clipart, MS word might do what you want. If you want some nice custom graphics and fancy text effects that can be printed the size of a billboard, then perhaps Adobe Illustrator and/or Adobe Photoshop will do. If this was done by a professional graphic designer they would use Illustrator/Photoshop or equivalent software. The more complex the software the longer it will take to become proficient with. Also consider if the flyers need to be mass produced from a printer service, find out what file formats they require.

You can drive to a tournament in a Yugo or a Lamborghini, both will get you noticed. One of which might be more appealing than the other.

Rick

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just use Microsoft Word. You can stick little graphics or clip art in a Word document. You can also have large colored text or a colored line border.

I'll make two different types of flyers on 8 1/2 x 11 paper.

One is for signs to place around the pool room where the tournament will be. The text is large and may say...

New Friday Night 8-Ball Tournament [Very large red text - sign printed landscape]

Whatever Pool Hall [Smaller text]
7:00 P.M. Every Friday night
$5 entry fee
8-Ball - Double elimination - BCA rules
Race to two.
Sign-up begins at 6:30 PM

1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place prizes.
Quarter for each scratch goes to 4th place prize.

The other flyer will be smaller print and will be to hand out to players at other tournaments. It is printed regular (not landscape). This flyer says basically the same things, except it also gives the name of the pool hall, the address, the city, phone number of the pool hall, directions to get there, and if room on page, a map of where the pool room is located. (You can go to mapquest.com, enter the address/city and get a map, then copy the map and paste in Word, then click on map graphic and size it to fit on page. You can also zoom in/out on mapquest to get the best map.)

The worst thing to do when making flyers is "assume" everyone knows where xyz pool hall is located - they don't. The best thing to do is assume everyone is from out of town and needs detailed directions and a map on how to get there along with address and phone.

Some pool halls may need directions from several different directions. So assume they are coming from 50 miles away or a large city 100 miles away. Might say...

Directions from big city X (to north): Take such and so freeway south to x exit, etc.

Directions from big city Y (to south): Take such and so freeway north to x exit, etc.

nfty9er

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Easy way

frankncali said:
Whats a good program that can make flyers?

Also what types of information do you thing HAS to be on the
flyer?
I have made some and think I know what I want on it but am trying to get some others opinions.

Just go to poolhall.com and they have links for flyers that you can then print.
Just fill in the blanks for your tournament and anything extra you want to add, submit and the tournament will list on the site. Then click on the tournament sections and your tournament will download then all you have to do is print it. These flyers are real handy and easy and look pretty good with the logo. Check it out you will like it. I use this all the time.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks
I went with word and it came out okay. Not exactly what I
wanted but it will work.
Thanks for the poolhall.com tip as well.